Chapter 84: Unity ― The Targaryens and Velaryons

King's Landing ― Docks...

Corlys was lying on the edge of his bed within his chamber on his flagship, the Sea Snake. Despite his legendary reputation as the greatest seafarer in the Seven Kingdoms, he remained unaware of the events that unfolded in King's Landing due to his absence. After recovering from a violent battle with Tyroshi general Racallio Ryndoon, Corlys considered himself lucky to be still alive. He leaned on his cane for support, as his body was still weak from the blood fever. The stitching on his neck was held together with medicinal cloth, which had been carefully applied by the Sea Snake's maester using ointments and disinfectants. Corlys knew he had a long road to full recovery, but he was grateful to have survived such a harrowing experience. Undoubtedly, Corlys remained conscious enough to observe that his spouse, Princess Rhaenys, had been keeping a close eye on him and tending to him while he slept during their journey from Evenfall to the harbor of King's Landing. "Heh, I've had men whipped for falling asleep on their watch," he joked lightly. "But you... are not like anyone I've ever met. You are no man."

Rhaenys, however, was not amused. "Reflecting on the past six months you've been gone, I can't help but ask you: was the risk worth jeopardizing our family's future? The uncertainty of what would happen if your fever didn't claim you or if you were lost fighting in the Stepstones? Both of our children, Laenor and Laena, are gone forever. We'll never get them back. It's been difficult for us all, especially our granddaughters, Baela and Rhaena. They needed you, as did I. It's hard to accept that you left us behind once again for another adventure at sea, as has always been your way."

"It wasn't supposed to be like this..."

"As if that makes any difference now, Corlys. What's done is done. Now live with it as I have."

Corlys felt more tired and defeated. "I understand we have a new king," he inquired.

"The Stranger casts a long shadow over this family," Rhaenys replied. Her son, her daughter, and her cousin, all three were dead. "Viserys is dead... and so is your brother."

"Vaemond...? Wha... Why? How did he die?"

"In his haste to bury you and claim your seat, he stood before Viserys and denounced Laenor's sons as illegitimate. He also provoked Aeonar to fury when he degraded Queen Aemma's memory. He thrust a concealed knife into Vaemond's heart for it. It moved so fast we couldn't see it. And Daemon took his head almost immediately."

Corlys winced in agony, a sharp pain piercing from his neck. "Heedless ambition has always been a Velaryon weakness," he admitted. He had always known that his younger brother Vaemond was equally ambitious as he was, but his stubbornness and defiance were unmatched. Vaemond had no filter, no restraint to know when to stop. Learning that both Aeonar and Daemon had executed him left the Sea Snake with a sinking feeling. He knew his house was already too invested and had crossed a line they could never return from, especially now that King Viserys was dead. "I'm sorry, Rhaenys... for everything. I reached too far in our pursuit of the Iron Throne. And it's been slowly costing us our family, bit by bit. I should have been more content with what we had at High Tide than what I thought was in our family's best interest. Our grandchildren, and―"

Rhaenys, while grateful for the kindness, stood firm. "You're still as headstrong as ever, even in this sorry state," she declared. You were never the kind of man who rolled over in the face of adversity. "Baela is engaged to marry Jaehaerys, as is Jace to Rhaena. They'll never be safe so long as the Caltrops are still out there, plotting from the shadows even while on the run." She looked her husband dead in the eyes. "And your longtime ally, whom you once regarded as 'an inexperienced boy,' is holding the realm together now. Even as we speak, men gather at the Red Keep urging him to plunge the realm into war." She looked out the window. They had finally arrived. "Yet, at the urging of his family, he is showing restraint, but it may not be enough."