Chapter 40: Rise of the Blacks

Red Keep ― Maegor's Holdfast...

The following day, a kind of shadow and gloom held sway over the Red Keep. Viserys rarely left his solar, instead busying himself with his model of the Valyrian capital, which grew ever larger and more intricate. Rhaenyra was confined to her apartments in the Red Keep, with only Grand Maester Mellos and a few septas coming in and out of her quarters. Two guardsmen, bearing the personal heraldry of Aeonar, stood constant guard outside of her door rather than a member of the Kingsguard.

Lord Unwin Peake, having journeyed to King's Landing from Starpike at his daughter's request, was the first of many lords to arrive in preparations for the upcoming wedding between Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen and Ser Laenor Velaryon. Word arrived of Otto's departure, leaving the Hand of the King post vacant. Beatrice advocated for her father to be named as Otto's replacement and for a moment, House Peake soon grew with the anticipation of acquiring more prestige.

"The realm needs a strong Hand. And without a Hand, everything will fall to pieces," Beatrice informed her father. Together they walked through the halls of the Red Keep towards Viserys's chamber.

Unwin hummed. "Still, I must give it to Ser Otto for holding out as long as he did. However, there are potential repercussions for fabricating certain key findings in the report you mentioned." He spoke. "Are you certain you and your 'acquaintance' have taken the necessary precautions before informing the rest of us back home?"

"Yes, father. My partner made certain to take the attention from us and more toward Viserys's Hand, though 'twas a close call. Now, I've already arranged an audience with the king to recommend you for the post. All we must do is explain why you would make a more suitable replacement for Otto. Our main concern, however, is his heir."

"The Young Dragon has many powerful allies at home and lurking in the shadows."

"If it comes to that, I'll take care of my stepson. That way, given the infighting, we'll soon have the path opened for Aegon's inevitable ascension."

When Unwin and Beatrice finally arrived at their destination, expecting Viserys, they did not expect Aeonar and Lyonel Strong to be with him as well. Not only that but Grand Maester Mellos and his new young aide Maester Orwyle were in the room too. Since returning to Driftmark, Viserys has been slightly recovering in a bathtub while being tended to for his ailments. Since the disease was made aware to the Young Dragon, merely amputating the two fingers on the king's left hand only slowed the advance of the persistent infection, and now after several more years, it has once again continued to spread along much of his left forearm.

"Rest now, Your Grace. I will bring the leeches," Mellos assured him.

"Uh, if I may, Grand Maester," Orwyle objected, "I took the liberty of preparing a fresh set of herbal poultices that might be more... effective."

"Hmph! That will not be necessary, Orwyle. The leechings have always brought His Grace relief." Mellos scoffed and struggled to try to stand, the elderly Grand Maester grunted and groaned with age.

Aeonar, folding his arms, noticed it too. Soon. It won't be long before you keel over, old man. And not a moment too soon.

Beatrice and Unwin permitted Mellos to leave but immediately returned to Viserys, Aeonar, and Lyonel remaining. The queen then noticed the Hand's pin attached to Lyonel's tunic before turning her gaze to the Young Dragon who met hers with a smug sense of satisfaction in his cold eyes.

ooOoo

Moments earlier...

In the council chamber, Aeonar stood gazing out the window. His arms crossed behind his back. The only other person in the chamber was the Master of Laws, Lord Lyonel Strong.