Chapter 38: The Queen Who Never Was

Driftmark ― High Tide...

Waves crashed against the shore; gulls cawed above. Along the beaches of High Tide, Rhaenyra and Laenor spent their afternoon together. Upon receiving word of their betrothal, the princess and heir to Driftmark expectedly did a courtship walk through the island's wet sand. Rhaenyra, however, is aware that both she and Laenor are in love with other people, and that he is no more enthusiastic about this marriage pact than she is.

"In truth, if it had to be someone, I'm glad it is you," Rhaenyra explained. "I know this union is not what you would choose."

Laenor shook his head. "I hold nothing against you, cousin," he dismissed.

"No, I... rather... Dare I say it is a matter of taste? I prefer roast duck to goose. I cannot say why."

"It's, it's not for a lack of trying. Some like goose very well." What are you getting at?

Rhaenyra slightly smirked. "I find it a bit greasy for my taste. I know that whatever agreement being struck up there will not change your appetites, nor will it change mine."

Laenor stopped in his tracks. She knows! He was known to have a lack of interest in women, instead preferring to surround himself with handsome young men of his age – hence his dispirited response to the betrothal. Whispers surrounded his sexuality, especially his relationship with his longtime lover, Ser Joffrey Lonmouth. The heir to Driftmark tried to hide his preferences and orientation, though it was only a matter of time before the wrong people found out about him. And since he learned that he was engaged to marry a Targaryen princess, Laenor was concerned his commanding officer from the war, Prince Aeonar, would discover this farce. "And what do you propose?" he asked. Laenor had to know, considering his second cousin knows about his preferences.

"That we perform our duty to our fathers and to the realm and when it's done... each of us dines as we see fit."

Laenor listened to Rhaenyra's proposal in detail. They would wed and perform their duties, and afterward, each would be free to pursue love however they'd see fit and love whoever they please–an open marriage if one could even describe it. They both know the arrangement is a political one. If what Rhaenyra suggests could keep unwanted attention away from him being romantically/sexually attracted to men, and Laenor would produce an heir to keep the Velaryon bloodline flourishing, then that would mean his best-kept secret would remain hidden. He would be allowed to keep his relationship with Joffrey! Slowly, a small smile curled. "I think I can live with that," he agreed.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––

There were times when Aeonar needed to be away from everything and everyone. Times when he needed to ponder and brood in solitude. Times when he needed to silence the dark voices that occasionally whispered in the back of his mind, trying to rouse his inner dragon. The twitching and tugs in his brain were more frequent, often to the point of pain; so, the Young Dragon remained perched on a high hill overlooking Blackwater Bay – below him were Alicent, their three sons, and Laena; to his left, Vaelor had dragged another whale juvenile carcass onto the shore to begin eating. Seasmoke approached, sensing the meal, though he hesitated when the Swiftrunner hissed a warning to the younger dragon for getting too close to his prey – only vocalizing in draconic grunts to allow permission. It was a means to assert his dominance as an alpha. Meleys, on the other hand, had already moved in between them both before dining in; to his right, Vhagar lay along the sandbank sleeping. He contemplated sparring, but Aeonar knew there would not be enough competition; he would practice archery, but he was not in the mood. So much to do, the heavier the burden.