Chapter 53: Beginning of the End

Pentos ― Prince Reggio's manse...

Rhaena, the youngest daughter of Prince Daemon and Lady Laena, spent the night holding her dragon egg near the burning brazier in her room. Although her older sister Baela has a young hatchling of her own in Moondancer, she, on the other hand, was without one herself; despite having an egg placed beside her in the cradle as a baby to help bond with it, she still hadn't hatched after more than eight years – much to her disappointment. While Rhaena was humming, she hadn't heard the door to her room opening nor heard her mother enter.

"It's been eight years, sweetling," Laena consoled her daughter. "Half of them never do, you know?"

"What?" Rhaena asked.

"Hatch."

Rhaena hung her head low. "Will they let me stay?" she inquired.

"Will who let you stay?" Laena questioned.

"The Prince of Pentos. He wants you and father... and Baela... because you three have dragons. I... I don't have one. Will he let me stay?"

Ah, so Daemon hasn't told you yet. Pity... "There is more than one way to bind yourself to a dragon, Rhaena. I was without one until I was 16 years old." Laena adjusted herself to ease her growing discomfort. "Before you and Baela were born... before I married your father, my cousin offered a dragon as a dowry if it meant securing your grandfather's support." She unveiled the gold Valyrian medallion she kept wrapped around her neck. "This amulet once belonged to Queen Visenya Targaryen, one of Aegon's sister-wives before the Conquest. Look," she traced a finger along the ancient High Valyrian runes engraved on the medallion. "There are only a few left remaining after the Doom. Queen Visenya recited the engravings to tame Vhagar, who at the time was the smallest dragon between herself, Meraxes, and, of course, Balerion the Black Dread himself."

"Really?" Rhaena asked curiously.

"Mm-hmm. Once I didn't have a dragon, but now I ride Vhagar, the largest in the world. And one day, she will go to you as we agreed."

"You think so?"

"I know so. Vhagar might seem menacing but treat her well and give her lots of love and kindness, and she's a big old softie."

That seemed to cheer Rhaena up. "Mother?"

"Yes, sweet girl?" Laena replied.

"What was he like?"

"Who?"

"Our cousin. At supper, Prince Reggio mentioned that father had a nephew in Westeros. The thing is... Baela and I never knew we had any cousins. Neither did we learn anything about other family members on the other side of the world. Can you tell me a little about... what he's like?"

Laena hummed. "Hmm... The last time I saw him was ten years ago. But from what I do recall, Prince Aeonar Targaryen is a well-renowned spymaster back home," she explained. "No matter where anyone was or what they were doing, no matter what was going on, he'd always find a way to know about it. On the outside, he might seem cold and intimidating... but once you get to know him and earn his trust, you'll learn that he does care about family. He won't admit it, of course. Intelligent and charismatic, yet so proud and stubborn, but there was a certain fire about him – the look in his eyes that burned with ambition. He's first in line to ascend the Iron Throne and become king of the Seven Kingdoms one day. He was the one who gave me Vhagar." She turned to her daughter. "And as per the agreement he made at Driftmark with my father – your grandfather, Lord Corlys Velaryon, Vhagar was given to me and one day shall be inherited by my children after me." She brushed a strand of hair from her daughter's face. "You have a harder road. But don't lose faith, Rhaena. Chin up. If you wish to be a rider, you must claim that right. Your father would tell you the same. When my time is done, Vhagar will be yours. I promise."