Chapter 67: Filler Arc ― Corlys Velaryon

YEAR 132 AC

Stepstones ― Along the Narrow Sea...

Reports have surfaced that the Triarchy remnants have launched yet another attack on the Stepstones to reclaim the archipelago and its vital shipping lanes. However, thanks to the strategic advantage of having previously constructed watchtowers and fortifications and establishing a garrison of soldiers to hold the ground seventeen years ago, the Velaryon fleet patrolling the region responded relatively quickly. By the time they arrived, House Velaryon had already established a foothold around the Stepstones well ahead of the Triarchy remnants' approach near the islands of Scarwood and Highwatch, thanks to the unwavering support and provisions provided by their Valyrian counterparts in House Targaryen.

The battle at sea was inevitable, with the Velaryons mobilizing an impressive fleet of 80 longships from Driftmark and receiving another 40 from Dragonstone. Their prowess on the open waters was well-known, and they were poised to decimate their enemies. Even the legendary Sea Snake was determined to eliminate what remained of the Triarchy once and for all, and nothing would stand in his way. And with the Principality of Dorne opting to stay neutral, many people haughtily thought that the remaining forces were as good as done for.

"We have a favorable wind, my lord!" Alyn of Hull called out. Throughout recent years, the illegitimate dragonseed of Valyrian lineage had garnered an impressive reputation as a skilled seafarer under the employ of his lordship. As a result of his exceptional abilities, he ascended to the position of captain, ultimately assuming authority over the flagship Queen Rhaenys. "Enemy ships coming in starboard side!" he pointed in one direction.

"I see them! We've got more at port!" Addam of Hull also chimed in. Like his younger brother Alyn, the dragonseed also enlisted in the Velaryon navy and was appointed commander of the highly-regarded vessel Lord Aethan's Glory. "Come on, men! To arms! We will give no quarter! Let's drive these Triarchy scum into the sea!" the youth barked orders at his sailors.

Standing tall on the bow of the flagship, the Sea Snake, was none other than Lord Corlys, commander of the Velaryon fleet, Lord of the Tides, and ruler of Driftmark. He observed the ocean's horizon, his sharp eyes analyzing the enemy ships. Although the Triarchy remnants were fewer in number than before, the Sea Snake was made aware of two high-profile targets in the vicinity: the Lynese admiral Sharako Lohar and Tyroshi general Racallio Ryndoon. As per the Young Dragon's intelligence reports, these two were not to be underestimated, for they were known for their cunning tactics and were considered a serious threat. "Ready the armaments," he ordered his men.

"Ready the armaments!" the sailors reiterated their lord's command.

"Load! Load! Put the stones on there!"

"Paint them with tar!"

"Careful where you put that thing!"

The Velaryon fleet was a force to be reckoned with, no doubt about it. Thanks to their skilled engineers and top-notch longships and war galleys, they were able to use their catapults and scorpions to inflict heavy damage. These weapons were no joke, as stone projectiles were coated in tar and set ablaze, ready to be launched from catapults for long-range attacks; for mid-to-close-range combat, the scorpions were used to fire yard-long iron-headed shaft bolts and fiery spears that could damage ships and kill a man with a single, well-placed precision shot. But it wasn't just about the naval armaments themselves - the skill of its handlers was crucial to their success. The Velaryon ships, with their sheer size and power, were indeed a sight to behold on the open waters and commanded a formidable presence. It was no wonder that they were known as the largest fleet in the Seven Kingdoms.