Chapter 55: The Aftermath

Pentos ― Prince Reggio's manse...

As the sun rose in Pentos, Daemon mourned over his deceased wife's remains on the city's outskirts. He was left with unanswered questions as to why she would take such drastic steps. Laena's labor was complicated, and the Rogue Prince was still contemplating his next move. However, it seemed that Laena made a conscious decision to end her life on her terms rather than risk a procedure similar to Queen Aemma's. It was clear to Daemon that Laena must have overheard his conversation with the physician.

But there was nothing that could be done about it now.

Daemon silently stared at the charred bones and ashes that were once Laena Velaryon. Smoke and heat still permeated the air, and he could still feel the heat that emanated from it. Even though the Queen of All Dragon's flame was reduced to a certain degree to make death quick and painless, Vhagar's dragonflame was indeed incredibly powerful. Holding an urn in one hand, Daemon steadily approached to gather up the remains. A single touch was all that was needed to reduce the bones to ash in an instant.

I had hoped for a son this time. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be.

Despite the unpleasant odor, the Rogue Prince collected the remains, carefully placed them in the urn, and sealed them securely. His primary focus now was on the welfare of his children, Baela and Rhaena, who were coping with the loss of their mother. With nothing to hold him in Pentos any longer, the Prince had decided to decline Prince Reggio's offer. His daughters' well-being was his utmost concern.

I understand that you wished to return home, Laena. It appears that your wish will be granted. I will do what I can to make it happen. My attention is now focused on taking care of our girls.

As Daemon returned to the roof of the mansion, he saw the heart-wrenching sight of his daughters grieving for their deceased mother. Rhaena silently wept while Baela mourned loudly, burying her face in her hands and calling out for her mother. Daemon empathized with Viserys' pain when Aemma faced a similar fate but in reverse. Laena had a choice while Aemma did not. Now, as a widower, Daemon had the responsibility of raising his two young children and doing what he believed was best for them.

"Girls," Daemon called out, capturing the attention of Baela and Rhaena. With a somewhat awkward gesture, the Rogue Prince invited them to come closer. "Please come here," he said.

Baela and Rhaena quickly dashed towards their father, wrapping their arms around him in a tight embrace, seeking solace from him. The Rogue Prince held them close, offering unwavering support as they wept. With one hand gently caressing Rhaena's hair and the other firmly rubbing Baela's back, Daemon provided the utmost comfort to his beloved daughters.

Rhaena's eyes were filled with tears as she spoke, her voice shaky with emotion. "The mere thought of my mother being away is simply unbearable," she confided.

Baela, her voice tinged with desperation, implored, "Please, tell us this is not true?"

Daemon said nothing. Sadly, it is. She's gone and she's not coming back. "Pack your things. We're leaving," he finally replied.

"But... but where are we supposed to go?"

"We're heading back to our true home, the one your mother always dreamed of returning to before she passed away," said Daemon as he presented an urn. "Her family is still at Driftmark and I'm sure your grandparents would be thrilled to meet you." However, they understand that their daughter is gone forever.

After settling all their affairs, Daemon and his daughters carefully packed their meager possessions into a small bag. The weight of their belongings was hardly noticeable as they headed towards the beach where their mighty dragons, Caraxes and Vhagar, awaited them. Although the foreign land had been kind, it was time to return to their true home in Westeros. Prince Reggio had kindly offered them to stay in Pentos, but Daemon prioritized the safety of his daughters. The Pentoshi elites helplessly watched as Daemon, Baela, and Rhaena mounted Caraxes and took off towards Driftmark, their ancestral home in Westeros.