Chapter 90: Blood and Cheese

King's Landing ― Flea Bottom...

Amidst Flea Bottom's dilapidated alleys and shanties, rumors and whispers were rife concerning the ongoing strife that had engulfed the land - the infamous "Dance of the Dragons." The common folk, who were often the most affected by the war, had already christened the conflict as such, owing to the fierce battles being fought by both sides. The Blacks, who had successfully wrested control of Harrenhal from the Caltrops without much resistance, had garnered a significant advantage in the early stages of the war. Knights and lords who had pledged allegiance to Aeonar Targaryen had mobilized their armies and were ready to fight with all their might. Although the reports from the frontlines varied depending on the source's reliability, it was widely known that the first actual battle between the opposing armies occurred in the Riverlands. The outcome of this crucial encounter remained shrouded in mystery, with only a select few privy to the actual results of the Dance's first phase.

"Did you hear?" one of the street urchins mentioned.

"Yeah, I did," replied the other. "They say the war has been intensifying these past few days."

"I got a friend in the army. He says the Blacks scored decisive victories near the Burning Mill and Stone Hedge."

"You're quite the chatterbox! Keep it down! Haven't you heard? They say the Young Dragon's supposed to have eyes and ears everywhere. We wouldn't want anyone overhearing us, would we?"

"Ah, shite! Keep your heads down!"

After the group of troublemakers scurried away to evade any attention, a solitary figure lingered in his makeshift dwelling, consumed by his own intoxication. This particular person's true identity remained a mystery, yet it was clear that he was a massive and menacing swordsman. Suddenly, a smaller man, who, despite his diminutive stature, appeared to be reasonably competent, approached him.

"The White Worm said she'd find you here. They say they call you 'Blood.' How long it's been since they stripped you of your gold cloak."

Blood seemed disinterested in the conversation with the stranger, his body language indicating a lack of enthusiasm. It was revealed through Mysaria's intel that he was a towering figure, characterized by his brutality and a notorious reputation for being willing to use violence at any given moment. In addition to his intimidating stature, he was known to possess a sense of humor, making him a unique character. Prior to his current situation, Blood served as a sergeant in the City Watch and was a loyal follower of Prince Daemon Targaryen during the early reign of King Viserys I. When the Rogue Prince was removed from his position as Commander for his illegal occupation of Dragonstone, Blood continued to serve under the command of Ser Harwin Strong. However, Harwin stripped him of his cloak when Blood was caught beating a whore to death in a drunken rage. Following his dismissal from the City Watch, Blood spent his time in Flea Bottom, drinking and roughing up the criminal elements for money only to waste it on alcohol. "Fuck off. I'm not interested," he grunted.

"Surely your talents could be used elsewhere. They say they need some... 'experienced' ratcatchers."

"Sod off. Do I look like a bloody ratcatcher to you?"

"The request came from Prince Daemon himself, I'm afraid."

Blood paused. Hearing the name of his former commanding officer caused him to sober up. "Prince Daemon?" he reiterated. "Who are you, and what's he want with me?"

"My true identity must remain a secret, but the folks around here call me 'Cheese.' Unlike you, I'm quite a skilled ratcatcher. I know every hidden door and secret tunnel at first glance, no matter the castle," he smirked. "The prince owes a debt to the Caltrops for the death of the Young Dragon's youngest son, and he's enlisted the help of the White Worm to return the favor. The reward, I must say, is quite substantial if we succeed in our mission."