Chapter 100: Gratitude and Admonishment

The Crownlands ― Rook's Rest...

With her father and House Hightower's guardsmen as her escorts, Alicent arrived at Rook's Rest and insisted on being immediately taken into the castle. Upon hearing about the recent battle that had taken place, one that had pitted her remaining children against the might of Sunfyre and Vhagar, the queen was consumed with fear and anxiety for their safety. Jaehaerys, Aegon, Viserys, and Aemma were now the only children she had left. After Daeron's death at Aemond's hands, Alicent had been plagued by constant worry, fearing that something dreadful would befall her remaining offspring. Her appearance reflected her inner turmoil, with her hair hastily pulled together and her once magnificent royal green dress showing signs of wear and tear. Alicent's hands trembled uncontrollably, and she struggled to resist the urge to pick at her cuticles, resorting to tightly gripping her wrists in an attempt to regain control. The constant worry and fear had taken a toll on her, and it was evident in her demeanor.

"We have all perused the reports. Although I do not condone the actions of the princes and princess in deviating to Rook's Rest without informing the crown, their unwavering dedication and profound loyalty to each other is to be admired," Otto commented. Despite the risks involved, they've shown that they cannot only repel an invasion but also effectively cooperate to defeat Vhagar. Rather impressive from ones so young.

Despite her father's words, Alicent paid no heed to Otto. Her primary concern was the safety and welfare of her children. As she stepped into the castle, the queen's gaze meticulously surveyed each corridor and chamber, desperately hoping for their safety. Anxious thoughts consumed her as she silently pleaded, Please be all right. "Excuse me," she pulled a servant aside, "have you seen my sons? My daughter? Are they all right?" she asked. Her maternal instincts fueled her quest for answers, and she would not rest until she knew her children were out of harm's way.

"Y-Your Grace!" the maid curtsied, her voice filled with respect. "Yes, they should all be in their rooms. In fact, Lord Corlys is―"

"Oh! Thank you so much!" Alicent breathed a sigh of relief as she received the news that her children were safe. She didn't waste any time and rushed to the guest rooms to see them for herself. Upon arriving at the rooms, she found Jaehaerys, Aegon, Viserys, and Aemma in the company of Corlys Velaryon, the Sea Snake. From the looks of it, Corlys had reached them before anyone else, as they were all gathered near Rhaenys's room. Alicent couldn't help but notice the mixture of emotions written on his face - a blend of anxiety, concern, relief, and gratitude.

"She lives?" Corlys' tired gaze shifted between the faces of those gathered before him, searching for some sign of hope or reassurance. His once-vibrant countenance was now etched with lines of weariness and sorrow as if he had been forced to endure one tragedy after another. The sixty-five-year-old Lord of the Tides and Master of Driftmark had already weathered many storms, but the thought of potentially suffering another personal loss seemed to be taking its toll on him. Corlys had already lost his daughter Laena, his son Laenor, and his brother Vaemond. He couldn't bear the thought of losing his wife, too. He wondered how much more he could take before it broke him completely.

"Yes, my lord. Princess Rhaenys will be all right," Viserys answered.

"Her injuries were bad, but..." Aegon pondered, his fingers gently caressing his chin as he searched for the right words to convey the severity of Rhaenys's injuries to Corlys. After all, this man was their father's longtime ally for years. "I can't help but wish we had been able to do more, though. Her injuries were undeniably severe."

Aemma, however, interjected with a humble perspective, countering her brother-husband's sentiment. "No, Aegon, we all did what we could to ensure her survival," she promptly added. "My lord," she addressed Corlys, "it would be most beneficial if you could be by her during her recovery. Without Meleys, Princess Rhaenys will require all the support she can receive." Aegon's concerns were understandable, but Aemma's humility reminded them that they were all in this together.