Chapter 99: Jaehaerys, the Silver Dragon

The Crownlands ― Rook's Rest...

Rhaenyra, accompanied by her sons Jace and Luke on their dragons Vermax and Arrax, respectively, flew towards Rook's Rest on her dragon Syrax. She had heard from her eldest son about the battle in the area and was anxious to reach the site as soon as possible. They were surprised to see a part of the Velaryon fleet docked nearby as they flew above the castle. Soldiers and sailors were unloading cargo crates from the ships and delivering them to the field and the castle. Upon closer inspection, Rhaenyra realized that the Velaryon navy had brought relief aid for the battered castle, including food, clothes, and medicine from Driftmark.

As they flew further, they saw a mass grave several leagues away and men struggling to haul the bodies of the dead dragons, Sunfyre and Meleys, onto carts to be delivered to King's Landing. Despite their best efforts, the volunteers could not move the huge draconic corpses. However, the decision to load Sunfyre's head onto one of the carts proved much easier to handle. Their efforts stopped when they saw Rhaenyra and her sons approaching for a landing.

"It looks like we've arrived later than expected," Rhaenyra said as she dismounted. She took a moment to survey the area. The aftermath of the Caltrops' attack was evident in the ongoing repairs to Rook's Rest. The Blacks were busy burying their fallen comrades in the gravesites on the left, while on the right, her nephews' and niece's dragons were tending to their wounds. Vermithor, Silverwing, Corxes, and Maelyx were all present, each recuperating in their way. The Bronze Fury was particularly attentive, using his tongue to gently lick Silverwing's wounds and help her heal, eliciting a deep, rumbling growl of gratitude from the injured dragon. Meanwhile, Corxes and Maelyx removed the arrows lodged in their scales as if they were mere splinters. Vermithor was on high alert, growling menacingly at anyone who approached, but he seemed to recognize Vermax and Arrax despite his aggression.

Vermax and Arrax slowly and carefully took a few steps back, emitting cautious, draconic chirps as they raised their heads to show their throat colors submissively. Syrax, who had grown so much that she was now almost as big as Caraxes, had to be extra careful around Vermithor due to his fierce temper and larger size. Therefore, she, too, displayed submission to the elder dragon by emitting growling reverberations in her throat, revealing her colors. Once Vermithor determined the three dragons posed no threat, he returned to tend to Silverwing's wounds. It was evident that the Bronze Fury was very protective of his mate and would not let anything harm her.

As Rhaenyra surveyed the aftermath of the battle at Rook's Rest, her eyes fell upon the lifeless body of Meleys. Is that...? A feeling of dread washed over her as she recognized the dragon, and her thoughts turned to the possible involvement of her former mother-in-law, Princess Rhaenys. The realization that Rhaenys had taken part in the battle alongside the Red Queen, who now lay dead, sent Rhaenyra's mind into a frenzy of speculation about the motives behind the attack and what it could mean for the realm's future.

"Careful with the crates, mates! If any of you drop them, I'll have the next man punished severely," Addam of Hull commanded his crew with authority and a stern look. His crew, sweating from the heavy lifting, nodded in agreement and handled the cargo carefully. The sea breeze carried the sound of their footsteps and the ship's wooden planks creaking as they worked to unload the precious cargo from the Lord Aethan's Glory.

"You there," Rhaenyra called out, catching his attention. "Addam of Hull, right? I believe you and Jaehaerys are friends, correct?"

Addam noticed her. "Ah, princess," he said, bowing slightly. "Yes, I'm Addam of Hull, captain of the Lord Aethan's Glory. I've had the pleasure of being acquaintances with your nephew, Prince Jaehaerys Targaryen, these past six years. And your brother before him," he acknowledged. "How may I be of service?"