Chapter 87: Ensuring Loyalty

Red Keep ― Training courtyard...

Throughout the day's progression, the Velaryon brothers, Jacaerys and Lucerys, were observed training in the courtyard, overseen by the ever-watchful Ser Steffon Darklyn, the second most senior Kingsguard knight after their Lord Commander. Ser Steffon keenly observed the stark contrast between Jace's fighting style and Luke's attempts at self-defense: Jace wielded his sword with fierce determination, quickly overpowering his younger brother and leaving no room for Luke to maneuver. It was evident that Prince Jacaerys was the superior fighter between the two, as he rapidly knocked Prince Lucerys's training sword out of his hand, delivering a gut-wrenching blow and ultimately sending him to the ground by kicking out his feet from underneath him. Such was the extent of Prince Jacaerys' fighting prowess that Prince Lucerys had no chance of victory.

"What was that?" Jacaerys gripped his brother's arm.

"I'm sorry," Lucerys grunted as he scrambled.

"You might go easier on him, my prince, so he can learn what you're trying to teach," Steffon intervened.

With his twin Viserys by his side, Aegon observed the scene before them. "He's still too fired up after the attempted coup," he remarked.

"Motivation can swing both ways, Jace. Being too riled up can lead to mistakes," Viserys cautioned.

"We can't be complacent while the Caltrops are still out there when they tried to steal uncle's throne," Jacaerys said, panting.

"This is why your dedication may be used against you."

"Jace, you often forget your limits because you're too eager for payback," explained Aegon.

"When under pressure, a leader should remain calm and composed in order to analyze the situation, whether it be their surroundings or the adversary," Viserys advised.

« Your blood is running too high. There's a difference between bravery and recklessness. You have a tendency to forget that. »

As Jacaerys pondered his next move, he found himself reflecting on the wise words his cousin Jaehaerys had spoken during the last supper with their grandfather King Viserys before he died. Those words had stayed with him, especially now when he moved to aggressively confront Aemond over the insults aimed at him and his brothers Luke and Joffrey. He couldn't help but feel frustrated with his own hot-headedness, but he knew that clarity often comes in moments of calm reflection. Things had become more complicated with Jaehaerys going to Harrenhal with Ser Otto Hightower. Jacaerys knew the road ahead would not be easy, but he was determined to face whatever lay on with courage and honor.

"Dragons returning!" scouts reported.

Amidst the vast expanse of the deep blue sky, five grandiose dragons - Vaelor, Syrax, Vermithor, Caraxes, and Silverwing - were soaring with grace and power, capturing the attention of every onlooker below. While the magnificent beasts were showcasing their might, the gates to the inner courtyard slowly began to creek, signaling the arrival of Otto and his household guard. The Hand's somber and stern expression revealed the outcome of the parley at Harrenhal, leaving a heavy sense of dread in the air. The young princes quickly grasped the reality that negotiations had failed, and the possibility of open warfare loomed close. Learning that the Blacks had given the Caltrops three days to reconsider their position, Aeonar felt foreboding as he realized they were on the brink of a dire situation. The stakes were high, and he was determined to honor his late father's memory by avoiding conflict. However, he knew that they must be prepared for anything, as the future of the Targaryen dynasty depended on it.

"Aemma!" Aegon rushed to his sister-wife, scooping her up in his arms. "Are you all right? Are you hurt?" he asked, planting kisses on her repeatedly while checking on her.