Chapter 82: King Aeonar I, the Young Dragon

Red Keep ― Maegor's Holdfast...

Otto, ever the dutiful father-in-law, wasted no time preparing for his son-in-law's coronation. However, Aeonar, understandably grieving the loss of his father, placed greater importance on arranging his funeral rites before any other official matters. In the meantime, each of Otto's grandchildren stepped up to oversee repairs to the city's damaged infrastructure and provide humanitarian aid to those in need. The Blacks successfully solidified their authority over King's Landing through their tireless efforts. Despite the success, the toll of the conflict weighed heavily on Otto's mind, prompting him to ask the somber question. "How many did we lose?"

"I'm afraid the civilian casualties are estimated to be in the dozens," Farrier grimly reported. "But that's not all. The small council has lost many members, who fled with Queen Beatrice. I've already sent word to our agents to track them down, but it won't be easy with Larys Strong in their ranks. It will take time. In the meantime, we're already fielding a list of suitable candidates to replace them on the council and having their backgrounds checked thoroughly."

"Good. This time make sure they stay loyal to the one true king. And what of the Kingsguard?"

"The Kingsguard must soon be restored to its full complement of seven," Ser Harrold reported. "So far, there are only five of us - including myself. Those who chose to follow the would-be usurpers have brought shame and dishonor to the Kingsguard."

"That's Beatrice's fault, Lord Commander. Not yours," Farrier expressed doubt and skepticism as he awaited further information. Shortly after that, a member of his inner circle arrived with a securely sealed scroll bearing the address of Dragonstone.

As Aeonar listened to the endless chatter of his advisors, his mind drifted away. His pale lilac eyes looked almost devoid of life. The only thing that truly mattered to him at that moment was giving his father a dignified funeral. The thought of his upcoming coronation and all the appointments that would follow seemed trivial in comparison. Even though he hadn't been crowned king yet, it felt as though the courtiers were already circling like vultures, eager to pick at the remains of his dead father's corpse. "There will be no plans until I give my father a proper service." Aeonar knew that he had to take matters into his own hands and make preparations himself.

"Your Grace―"

"What, Farrier?"

"It's... from your sister, Princess Rhaenyra."

King's Landing ― Street of Sisters...

Jaehaerys and Baela took it upon themselves to traverse the city, braving the aftermath of the devastating Caltrops' coup attempt. They offered their invaluable assistance to those who suffered from the calamity, putting their own safety on the line to lend a helping hand. With unwavering commitment, they tirelessly worked to remove the debris and care for the injured, offering hope and comfort to those most vulnerable during this trying time.

Aemma's benevolent and empathetic nature propelled her towards dedicating herself to the noble cause of tending to the widowed and orphaned, offering them solace and unwavering support in the face of their profound loss. Meanwhile, Aegon and Viserys' hearts overflowed with kindness and compassion as they toiled tirelessly alongside the city's chefs, serving meals to those in dire need of sustenance. Lastly, Daeron took on the responsibility of overseeing the queue, ensuring that everyone received their fair share of food without any cuts or disruptions while carrying out his duties with an unwavering sense of accountability.

With a reassuring wave of his hand, Aegon tried to soothe the anxious crowd. "Hey, hey. Easy now, easy," he said reassuringly. "Let's not get too excited." His words slowly had a magical effect as everyone began to feel a sense of calmness and composure.