Chapter 121: Blood of the Dragon (Part 2)

Harrenhal...

Criston Cole rushed through the castle courtyard as the urgent toll of warning bells echoed through the air. "Ambush! To arms!" he urgently shouted, barking orders and rallying his men and the garrison to arm themselves swiftly. But how could they face an enemy they couldn't see or hear? It was a perplexing challenge, facing an adversary who was a master of stealth, assassination, and espionage. "Damn it, hurry up!" As he rounded the corner, Criston's eyes fell upon one of his soldiers, who had pulled the sturdy rope to raise the alarm when he spotted one of them. Tragically, the Caltrops soldier bore five Valyrian throwing stars embedded in his back and another piercing his skull. It was the unmistakable handiwork of the Lykirī Mēre, Aeonar's covert agents. Assassins!

The courtyard buzzed with activity as soldiers armed themselves and took up defensive positions, ready to face the impending threat. As Criston surveyed the courtyard, he could see the panic and fear in his men's eyes. The night skies were pitch black, and they couldn't see the Lykirī Mēre. Whenever they turned around, startled at the slightest sound, another would get picked off, but he knew they had to stand firm and fight back. As the battle raged on, Criston's mind raced, strategizing and analyzing every move. He knew that they needed to change their tactics if they were to have any chance of defeating these deadly assassins. With a commanding voice, he rallied his troops, urging them to adapt and overcome. They formed smaller groups to cover each other's blind spots and anticipate the enemy's next move. With their vast army of 8,000 troops, the Caltrops were confident in their ability to overpower the Lykirī Mēre with sheer numbers, outnumbering the assassins by a ratio of 10 to 1.

However, the vastness of Harrenhal itself proved to be a double-edged sword. The castle, with its labyrinthine corridors, towering walls, and hidden chambers, provided ample hiding spots for the Lykirī Mēre. They moved swiftly and silently through the shadows, striking from unexpected angles with deadly precision, exploiting every weakness and vulnerability they could find and disappearing just as quickly as they came. Despite their numerical superiority, the Caltrops found themselves constantly on edge, never knowing when or where the next attack would come from. The battle became a deadly dance, with the Caltrops desperately trying to maintain their formation while the Lykirī Mēre sought to disrupt and dismantle it, moving with a coordinated precision that belied their smaller numbers. The clash of steel against steel, the cries of pain and triumph, and the thunderous footsteps of warriors reverberated throughout the fortress.

"Fan out! Find them! Keep your defenses up, and don't separate!" Criston barked orders at his men, his grip tight on his morning star as he displayed signs of tension. His initial strategy of advancing south towards Starpike was disrupted by the Lykirī Mēre's infiltration of Harrenhal, causing a significant setback in the Caltrops' plans. The cover of darkness only further complicated matters, leaving Criston feeling increasingly agitated as he grappled with the realization that the enemy lurked nearby, unseen and waiting to strike.

As the hours turned into what felt like an eternity, exhaustion began to take its toll on both sides. Despite their numerical advantage, the Caltrops found themselves stretched thin, their forces depleted by the relentless onslaught of the Lykirī Mēre. The assassins, too, were not without their losses, their ranks slowly thinning as they pushed themselves to the limits of their physical and mental endurance.

"*Wuuuuuuuurrr!*"

Amidst the turmoil and disorder, Vhagar awoke and unleashed a torrent of dragonflame into the sky, casting a brilliant light over Harrenhal's courtyard. The operatives of Lykirī Mēre swiftly dispersed, realizing that the fiery blaze could potentially reveal their whereabouts due to its intense brightness. The Queen of All Dragons detected the presence of intruders, and her fury was about to be unleashed upon anyone who dared to obstruct her path. While Vhagar soared through the air, scorching everything in her path, Criston noticed the sudden shift in the ancient dragon's demeanor and aggressive actions. As his soldiers scattered, a realization dawned upon him: glancing up at the Kingspyre Tower, Criston comprehended the gravity of the situation that the Lykirī Mēre, despite being few in number, were merely a distraction.