Chapter 75: Fate of Driftmark's Successor

Red Keep ― Throne room...

As they made their way toward the throne room, Princes Jaehaerys and Jacaerys couldn't help but feel a sense of trepidation. The gathering of nobles at the Red Keep had been called for a hearing, and they knew it was essential to make an appearance. The cousins had spent the last three days preparing for any questions or rebuttals that might be thrown at Jace's way as he prepared to defend his claim to Driftmark. Jaehaerys, Aegon the Younger, Viserys, and Aemma had all lent their insight into court intrigue, but Daeron's hot-headedness had been deemed too risky. Jace couldn't risk losing his legal rights to Driftmark and was determined to thwart any attempts to question his legitimacy by some backwater pretender.

"Are you all right, Jace? You look a little on edge," Jaehaerys inquired.

Jacaerys shook his head. "Not at all," he denied.

"I have not seen you this uptight since we were on the Valyria's Pride."

"That was an accident! How was I supposed to know it was going to capsize?"

"Don't mind me. Aunt Rhaenyra asked me to look out for you, that is all." I see why she thought it was necessary.

"Yeah, well, maybe from mother's point of view, I still have much to learn."

"She also gave you praise. Such determination says you let nothing and no one deter you from your goal." Jaehaerys was observant of Jace's slight change in stance. Though not apparent to some, the young Targaryen prince sensed his cousin's frustration. As Jace had turned sixteen, he was now legally responsible for himself without Rhaenyra representing him. "You're sweating. Relax. Take a deep breath," he advised.

Jacaerys took a deep breath before letting it out slowly. "I'm at a loss as to why we're even bothering with these proceedings," he confessed. "This whole petition is just a political ploy cooked up by the queen to question my claim as grandfather's heir and give Driftmark to that snake Vaemond. It's an invisible rot that eats away at the foundation laid by our forebears."

"Jace, I empathize with you, but keeping your composure and remaining level-headed throughout the hearing is crucial. All it takes is one misstep, and you lose. Your position demands patience and perseverance if you're to overcome any doubts or criticisms that may come your way. Demonstrating your worth will speak volumes about your professionalism as befitting your station. Remember: the ripple from even a tiny stone can flow a great distance."

"Thanks, Jay. I guess you're right." Jacaerys knew the Young Dragon's heir and second-in-line to the Iron Throne would be his strongest political ally. "But isn't uncle Aeonar presiding over the hearing? Any insight as to what I might expect?"

"Father is a serious man but a master of deception and an experienced player of the game. Cold and ruthless but effective," Jaehaerys replied. "Everything he says and does is calculated. He will attempt to trip you up, test your resolve, get to the heart of who you are. Always take him seriously. And I mean always."

"Egh, thanks for the warning."

As the grand doors to the throne room slowly creaked open, the two princes were greeted with the sight of numerous lords and ladies gathered before the mighty Iron Throne. High above them all stood Aeonar, the Hand of the King, dressed in a striking black tunic emblazoned with House Targaryen's three-headed dragon emblem. His attire was completed by a fearsome black robe with voluminous sleeves, which only served to draw attention to his steel draconic gloves, each adorned with a razor-sharp carbon steel blade at the tip of every finger. As he stood tall, the Young Dragon would preside over the heated discussion surrounding the delicate matter of Driftmark's succession, filling in for his father in the process.