Chapter 4: The Rogue Prince

Red Keep ― Throne room...

Prince Daemon felt as if here were made for sitting in the Seven Kingdoms' seat of all power and dominion. The Iron Throne - forged from the blades of Aegon the Conqueror's fallen enemies - the influence to sway the lords and humble his vassals through his commands would sweep across the nation, just as it was made possible by House Targaryen's ancestors. Of course, what made him different from his older brother King Viserys, Daemon was aware of which blades of the seat were sharp and which were dull, so he avoided cutting himself on the throne.

Dealing with political bureaucracy bored him, and council sessions irritated him since most of Viserys's advisors sided with his Hand... Although his brother tried to accommodate him with the roles of Master of Laws and Master of Coin, Daemon was nevertheless dismissed from office both times. He felt it was Otto Hightower who planted the seeds of doubts in his brother's ears. Because of the tense rivalry he had with Otto, Daemon saw him as a dishonorable leech who wanted to rise as high as he could get since his status as a second son would not allow him to inherit anything of his own.

But since assuming command of the City Watch, Daemon was at least allowed to flourish and hone his talents as an audacious rogue prince and adventurer who seemed composed of good and evil in equal measure. He reorganized the Watch from a loosely assembled and poorly equipped group of street toughs into the formal institution they were known as ever since. There was never a man simultaneously so loved and so reviled as he was. To some, he was a hero, to others the blackest of villains. However, Daemon did not care what other people thought of him.

Here? Sitting on the Iron Throne? Daemon felt like he belonged here - as his brother's heir he always felt like... before he was replaced by his nephew Aeonar.

"Bisa enkis emagon issare ñuhon... (This should have been mine)," Daemon uttered under his breath. His attention was soon snapped when he heard the main doors opening. Of course, it would be them. Daemon glanced at both his niece and nephew from atop the Iron Throne - watching as they approached him.

"Ñuha jurnerys gīmēdan nyke bona ao ziksoso sagon kesīr. (My spies informed me that you would be here,)" Aeonar spoke in High Valyrian. "Daor ruarilaksa. (Not surprising.)"

"Iksis ziry sir? (Is it now?)" Daemon smirked.

"Sparo drīvose gaomā, kepus? (What do you think you are doing, uncle?)" Rhaenyra inquired.

"Ñuhoso dēman. Kesy ñuhys dēmavos māzīlariot sinilus. (Sitting. This well could have been my chair back then.)"

"Daor lo jaelā naejot gaomagon aōha bartos, kepus. (Not if you want to keep your head, uncle,)" Aeonar refuted. "Ao issare ozmijes hen manda syt iā bōsa jēda. (You've been away from court for such a long time.)"

"Aye," Daemon nodded. "Qurdalbar gierī tegenkor issa. (Politics is so dreadfully boring.)"

"Konir sagon skoro syt ao jiōraton nādīnagon lanta. (That's why you got kicked out twice.)"

Rhaenyra could not help but snicker at the back-and-forth banter between her brother and uncle. "Sīr, kepus, (So, uncle,)" she interjected, "skoros vēttan ao māzigon arlī? (What made you come back?)"

Daemon glanced at his niece. "Nyke ryptan aōha kepa iksin ōregon iā vēttīlaksir. (I heard your father was hosting a tournament.)" He replied before turning to his nephew. "Iksan mirrī ruarilaksa bona ao sagon daor ima restan bisa jēda. (I am surprised that you are not going to compete this time.)"

Aeonar cringed at the thought of competing in a tournament where Daemon would become involved again. The last time he entered the lists, he sustained a terrible head injury from his uncle during the jousting competition. According to Grand Maester Mellos, Aeonar was rendered unconscious for a week before waking up. Queen Aemma was in hysterics, King Viserys was furious at Daemon for inflicting such bodily harm on his only son and heir. The headaches were gone, but the memory still lingered. "Muña jaelza, daor ñuhon. (Mother's wishes, not mine,)" he responded.