Chapter 41: Second Royal Wedding

King's Landing ― Blackwater Bay...

With the long-awaited royal wedding ceremony finally due to begin, the second of its kind in three years, the Velaryons arrived in King's Landing on their dragons: Ser Laenor on Seasmoke, and his mother Princess Rhaenys on the older and larger Meleys, the Red Queen. Although Seasmoke treated his elder kin as competition, the younger dragon screeched in annoyance when Meleys demonstrated her prowess as one of the fastest dragons in Westeros by easily outpacing him.

Meanwhile, Lord Corlys and the full Velaryon fleet arrive in the harbor, as the city's bells toll out to greet them for the festivities. The planning for the union between the Targaryen dynasty and Driftmark had been one of the exhaustive details and endless discussion.

As the Master of Coin, Lord Lyman Beesbury estimated the wedding would cost more than the Golden Wedding between Lord Rogar Baratheon and Dowager Queen Alyssa Velaryon in 49 AC. Banners of House Targaryen and House Velaryon fluttered throughout the Red Keep and in the city below.

Red Keep ― Throne room...

"It is with great pleasure that His Grace, King Viserys, announces the start of the royal wedding celebrations," Ser Harrold announced. Since the feast was being held in the throne room itself, envoys from most of the major noble houses of the realm were gathering in King's Landing in large numbers for what was about to be the most lavish wedding in living memory. "House Lannister with their lord, Jason Lannister. Lord of Casterly Rock, Lord Paramount of the Westerlands, Shield of Lannisport, and Warden of the West."

At the urging of his son and his new Hand, Viserys had emerged from his seclusion and entertained the arriving envoys from Dorne and neutral city-states of Essos with drinking, feasting, gambling, hawking, and hunting. Everyone was aiding in the preparation for the upcoming nuptials. Queen Beatrice had also made herself busy, assisting in the organizing and cataloging of the mountains of presents and gifts that were being delivered as well as arranging the seating of the guests and decorations. She wore an expensive Myrish lace dress, and on her neck, she wore a necklace pure her stones, polished to allow the torchlight to clean off their surface. Her hair is styled and pinned up in a traditional Reach fashion. She looked resplendent in her outfit. And everywhere she went, Ser Criston Cole followed. Ever since being castrated, the man had become the queen's shadow, constantly at her side. It was rumored that the queen supplied the emasculated Kingsguard knight with potions and medicines to increase his strength and endurance. But more importantly, Ser Criston had not spoken a word of his illicit affair with Rhaenyra. However, it was noted that every time Ser Criston even looked at the princess, his face darkened, and his eyes filled with hate.

"House Hightower with their lord, Hobert Hightower. Lord of Oldtown, Beacon of the South, Defender of the Citadel, and Voice of Oldtown."

Viserys and Rhaenyra sit in the middle of the high table set up in front of the throne's base as joyful music continued playing in earnest and were set to receive each in the group, though Alicent and Aeonar are noticeably late and have yet to arrive. By the time more guests were arriving, they noticed Beatrice's entourage from Starpike walking in, wearing the sigils of their house: three black castles on an orange field. They all wore orange.

"Congratulations, Your Grace," Jason spoke pompously to Viserys. "You have made a fine match for the princess."

"Thank you, Lord Jason. I could think of no better man than Ser Laenor," Rhaenyra acknowledged. Although she still remembered his arrogant behavior during the Grand Hunt, the princess maintained her composure. He must still be reeling from being outright rejected for his arrogance last year. Must wound your pride knowing that you couldn't win me over despite your and Beatrice's attempts to get me sent away. She looked at the empty seats to her left, the ones reserved for Alicent and her brother. Since being confronted for lying about her innocence and admittance to spying on them having sex, they hadn't said or spoken a word to her and ignored her, giving Rhaenyra the cold shoulder. She still bore the guilt in her conscious. Temporarily turning her gaze away, she touched her cheek before bringing it back down onto her lap.