Chapter 68: Vying for Power

High Tide ― Hall of Nine...

High Tide was basked in the sun's warm glow, casting a peaceful ambiance over the surrounding waters. However, the inside of the grand fortress was far from tranquil. Princess Rhaenys Targaryen, poised and confident, sat atop the Driftwood Throne, holding the weight of Lady Regent of Driftmark in her husband's absence. As she received a raven bearing news of the aftermath of the battle against the Triarchy remnants' fleet, the tension in the air was tangible, and all eyes were fixated on her every move. The atmosphere was fraught with anxiety, and the weight of responsibility lay heavily on her shoulders as she contemplated her next course of action.

Beside her stood Lady Baela Targaryen, her eldest granddaughter, and ward. At sixteen, Baela had grown into a stunning young woman who often drew comparisons to her late mother, Lady Laena Velaryon. Since she was taken in by her maternal grandmother and raised as her ward, she spent most of her teenage years learning the ways of Westeros' nobility as part of her education. At the same time, her younger sister Rhaena remained by their father's side at Duskendale with their new stepfamily. Although it was traditionally a common practice for noble children to be taken in by other families and establish close ties and sometimes alliances with other houses across the continent, Baela was so close to her grandmother that they had become inseparable.

"It's been nearly six months since I last saw my lord husband, maester. I must know... will he live?" Rhaenys asked.

And before them was Maester Kelyvn, who had already been nervously reading the message he had only received this morning. "During the battle for control of the Stepstones, Lord Corlys led his sailors to confront the Triarchy forces in open water. In the fighting, his neck was slashed by General Racallio Ryndoon's blade. He fell overboard into the sea. The wound was severe. Much blood was lost, but the greater concern was the following fever. The ship's healer said he burns from within," he informed.

Rhaenys remained silent, her eyes fixed on Kelvyn as he spoke. It had been half a year since she had last laid eyes on her husband, who had set sail for the Stepstones with his finest vessels and bravest sailors to crush what remained of the Triarchy. He waged a seemingly endless battle against ruthless pirates, corsairs, and marauders to gain complete control of the desolate archipelago. Yet, though Corlys had departed alive, there was always the looming possibility that his ship may return with his lifeless body, yet another soul lost to the unforgiving sea. Rhaenys couldn't shake the thought of him joining their daughter and son, forever resting on the ocean floor. "Where does the letter come from?" she finally asked, emerging from her thoughts.

"Evenfall, princess. With strong winds at their backs, they should land here in three days."

"Hmm, then make sure we are ready to greet them, Maester Kelvyn," Rhaenys said with a nod, dismissing the maester, who scuttled away like a crab.

Baela noticed Rhaenys' worried expression, despite her attempts to conceal it. She reached out and gently touched Rhaenys' shoulder in a comforting gesture. "The Sea Snake is strong, grandmother," she reassured her.

As Rhaenys smiled and gently placed her hand on Baela's, she couldn't help but feel a sense of joy at having her granddaughter at her side. Gods, she looked so much like Laena. However, her happiness was short-lived as a new voice suddenly interrupted the moment.

"No doubt," Vaemond Velaryon said, striding into the room. "And yet, I have seen blood fever overcome men half his age and twice as strong."

Rhaenys glared at her brother-in-law. "Mind your words. I will not suffer the crows and vultures in my house, Vaemond, not while my husband still draws breath," she said.

"I love my brother; gods strike me down if I lie. But we must be honest with ourselves and prepare for the worst. We may greet his ship to find him gone. And who will take the Driftwood Throne? Who is to rule should the Sea Snake fall?"