Chapter 15: Trouble in Paradise?

Red Keep ― Maegor's Holdfast...

––––––––––––––––––––––––––

The view is strangely distorted and disorienting. Visions of the past faded in and out, but as it soon became clear in the prince's dreams... he could see someone. On a bed, being held down. Confusion at first before her face quickly turned into panic.

What... What is this? I-I cannot move.

« Oh no...! NO! No! No! No! NO, NO, NO! »

Mother?! No, not again! Mother...!

It was no longer a dream. But it was a living nightmare. Being forced to relive the death of his mother, Queen Aemma Arryn, all over again, Aeonar felt helpless as the visions he was receiving forced him to do nothing but watch ― no matter how hard he tried to move, his legs remained immobile; no matter how hard he tried to look away, his eyes were forced open and his head was forcibly turned to watch the gruesome image that was forever burned into his brain that day.

Mother!

« VISERYS, NO! PLEASE! NO, NO, NO! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH! »

MOTHER!!!! Aeonar screamed. As the vision faded, the prince quickly paced his unknown surroundings. It was black, the ground beneath his feet made it feel like he was walking on water, and the dense fog dissipated just as quickly as it formed... I do not want to see this anymore! Let me out! Wake me up! Someone get me out of this nightmare!

In an act to torment the Prince of Dragonstone, more fog began to appear before parting slightly to reveal another figure. It was the cries, pleading, and anguish of another woman... but she was much younger. To his horror, the woman was his bride, Alicent Hightower.

« GAAH! Aeonar! Aeonar, help me! Please! »

Alicent!? No, no, no! Please! Not her! Anything but her!

« AAAAAAAAAHHH!! »

ALICENT!!!

––––––––––––––––––––––––––

His eyes sharply open, Aeonar awakens in a panic covered in sweat. His heartbeat was fast, his adrenaline levels rose, and he quickly examined his surroundings. It was one of the royal apartments in Maegor's Holdfast. He looks over in the bed and sees Alicent sound asleep next to him naked as the day she was born with only the bed sheets draping across her bare shoulders to keep herself covered. Her breathing was quiet, and she was sleeping soundly, her chest rising and descending. Now he remembered―it was their wedding night. Having finally understood where he was, Aeonar slowly gets out from under the sheets and sits on the side of the bed, breathing heavily, and puts his head in his hands.

"Ilārtan ziry... (Damn it...)" Every night, the same dream. Not just of what happened in the past, but... No, I refuse to believe this.

The sudden movement was enough to cause Alicent to stir and awaken. "Mmmm. Aeonar?" she yawned before rubbing her eyes. Once she was awake, she noticed Aeonar's back facing her and his subtle tremble. "Aeonar, what's wrong?" she scooched over. Alicent took Aeonar's hand, but he did not look at her. Something is not right. "What's bothering you?" she inquired. "Aeonar, please. Talk to me."

Aeonar shakily exhaled. "It was a dream," he admitted.

"Bad?"

"Like the one I used to have about my mother... just before she died."