Chapter 118: Aemond's Fury

The Riverlands ― Harrenhal...

Aemond One-Eye gathered his comrades and mobilized his forces, intending to retake Harrenhal from the Blacks. Accompanied by Ser Criston, who marched forth with his troops on the ground, Aemond took to the skies on the back of Vhagar, determined to bring the fight to his uncle, Prince Daemon, and his older half-brother, King Aeonar. Aemond regarded the two as the greatest threats to the Caltrops and was prepared to face them head-on. With planned strikes in the Riverlands from the east and west ending in failure the previous year, Aemond was confident Vhagar would overcome Caraxes and slay Vaelor, and he would return with Daemon's and Aeonar's heads.

However, not all members of the Orange Council supported the prince's bold move. While Aemond had the backing of Ser Criston Cole, the Hand of the King for the Caltrops, Grand Maester Orwyle advised him to seek the aid of House Baratheon from Storm's End before taking action. Lord Jasper Wylde, known as the Ironrod, also warned that having two dragons on their side would be more advantageous before heading to battle in the Stormlands. Despite the counsel of his grandfather, Lord Unwin, who advocated for patience and urged his grandson to wait so they might join the attack, Aemond was not willing to wait. He dismissed those who hesitated, claiming he did not need anyone who hesitated or showed signs of weakness; Aegon was too badly hurt and missing. Aye, Caraxes was a fearsome beast, savage, cunning, and battle-tested; Vaelor was one of the largest dragons in the realm, intelligent, fast, and ferocious... but Vhagar was the oldest, fiercer, and most experienced of the Targaryen dragons, was considered the most powerful, having been part of the original trio that conquered Westeros.

True to his resolve, Aemond rode forth within a fortnight at the head of a host 4,000 strong. "Sixteen days' march to Harrenhal," he proclaimed. "On the seventeenth, we will feast inside Black Harren's hall while my uncle's head looks down from my spear."

However, after nineteen days on the march, the Caltrops found the gates of Harrenhal open with Daemon and his men gone.

"Hmm... where is he?" As Aemond trudged along the castle grounds, his mind was abuzz with thoughts about his missing uncle. He couldn't shake off the unease that had settled in his gut. He scanned the area keenly, searching for any sign of Daemon or the Blacks who had once seized control of Harrenhal when the Dance of the Dragons had started more than a year ago. But the castle was eerily quiet, and there was no trace of the people he sought. This has to be some ploy. Harrenhal is entirely deserted... Aemond's frustration grew as he realized he was no closer to finding his sought-after answers.

"Where is everyone?"

"I thought there'd be a garrison here..."

"This place looks completely abandoned."

Some of the men looked around the courtyard; others looked up at the sky, searching for any signs of dragons. They had expected Daemon to fly in on Caraxes to attack them, but the Rogue Prince or the Blood Wyrm were nowhere to be seen.

"Huh, maybe his river scum had fled rather than face our wroth..."

"Doubt it."

Aemond, standing with his arms held firmly behind his back, couldn't help but feel a sense of suspicion creeping in. Nevertheless, since House Strong's garrison had willingly surrendered the castle to Daemon during the initial stages of the war, he wasted no time swiftly administering the appropriate punishment. "Bring them forward," he ordered.

Criston Cole instructed his men to bring forth the imprisoned Ser Simon Strong, a few of his grandsons, and what was left of his men. "It seems that these lot are only a fraction of the garrison assigned to guard the castle," he observed. "Ser Simon Strong, castellan of Harrenhal, great-uncle to Lord Larys Strong. He was tasked with holding Harrenhal but, under interrogation, confessed he surrendered the castle to the Blacks when Prince Daemon and his dragon landed on the Kingspyre Tower. Upon our arrival, however, some of his men had already been taken to King's Landing. What was left of the garrison was also scheduled to be sent out, but it seems Daemon had other ideas and kept Ser Simon in a cell with a message."