Needing Comfort

After putting Sarang down for her nap it was only and hour later when Do Hwan began to her his daughter's cries coming from her room, dashing from the kitchen and up the stairs he was soon in her room standing by her cot

After putting Sarang down for her nap it was only and hour later when Do Hwan began to her his daughter's cries coming from her room, dashing from the kitchen and up the stairs he was soon in her room standing by her cot. Gently picking up his six-month-old daughter from her crib, cradling her close to his chest. She was crying, obviously upset from a bad dream she had just had. He could feel her body tremble in his arms, and he could feel her heart pounding against his chest. He started to rock her gently, back and forth, back and forth, murmuring softly in her ear.

"Shhh, it's okay. It's just a bad dream. Appa's here, sweetheart. I'm here. I'm not going anywhere." His voice was calm and soothing. Sitting in the rocking chair next to his daughter's crib, gently running his fingers through her soft, dark hair in the hope it would start to soothe her.

Sarang's big, brown eyes looked up at him, and Minho felt his heart swell with love, "Dreams are just shadows on the wall," he said, quoting a Korean saying. "They can't hurt you."

Sarang's whimpering slowly turned into a small hiccup and she reached her hand towards her father. Do Hwan smiled and took her hand in his, feeling a rush of warmth fill his chest.

"I'll always be here for you, Sarang," he said, looking into her eyes. "You are not alone."

Sarang's eyes slowly began to close, and Do Hwan knew she was drifting back to sleep. He stayed by her side, watching over her as she slept, feeling grateful for the precious gift of being a father.

"I will love you forever, my sweet Sarang," he whispered, leaning down to kiss her forehead once more before getting up and leaving the room.

~

By the time he returned to check on her a short while later he could see she was already awake and once she had seen him it was clear that she wanted to be close to him as she began fussing and reaching out to him with her tiny hands.

She was clingy and wanted to be with him all the time, which was understandable given her condition, picking her up and sitting in the rocking chair he spent time with her. "I know it's hard, my little angel," he whispered, as he brushed her soft hair with his fingers. "But I promise you, I'll always be here for you. I'll never leave you."

His daughter cooed and smiled, reaching up to grab his finger. He smiled back and kissed her forehead. "You're my everything, my little girl. I'll do anything for you."

He knew that raising a child with Down's syndrome would be a challenge, but he was determined to give her the best life possible. He would work hard to provide for her and make sure she had everything she needed, but more importantly, he would love her unconditionally and be there for her every step of the way.

"I'm here, my baby. I'm here." he said softly as he held her close.

Coming up with an idea he set out to make her laugh and smile as much as possible, "Come on, let's see that beautiful smile of yours," he said, tickling her belly gently.

As she let out a small giggle, he felt his own heart fill with happiness. "That's it, that's my girl," he said, beaming with pride.

He then picked up a brightly colored toy and waved it in front of her, causing her to reach out and grab it with her small hands. "Look at you, you're so strong and smart," he said, feeling a sense of amazement at the capabilities of his little girl.