story 190

JJ's POV:

Kie and I dated for two years before we broke up. She met this new guy in college and they were engaged now. I didn't do relationships, but Kie was the exception. I don't ever plan on dating again.

Kie was back in the Outer Banks for the weekend and we were all hanging out at the Chateau. The girls were going dress shopping for Kie's wedding today. They returned and Cleo and Sarah looked worried and Kie just looked pissed off.

"What happened to the happy bride?" Pope asked

Sarah and Cleo both looked at Pope like he had a death wish. Kie stormed outside and went to the hammock and I asked, "So what happened?"

"Her soon-to-be mother-in-law is a bitch" Cleo said

"Kie was trying on dresses and basically told her she looked like a fat whore in her favorite dress"

"She said what?"

"Her mother-in-law wanted her to get the dress she liked, not the dress Kie liked. Her mother-in-law, Kelly bought Kie the ugly dress"

"That fucking bitch" John B said

We all looked at Kie outside in the hammock and she was crying.

"Someone should talk to her"

"We've tried and she won't talk. She just says it doesn't matter. It's not even her wedding anymore, it's Kelly's"

"JJ, you should go. You almost married her" Pope said bringing up that painful memory

"Guys, it's really not a good idea if I go. It's not really my job to deal with her emotional shit, besides I suck at it"

"Yeah, you do but for some reason, you're good at it with Kie. Go talk to her" Sarah practically pushed me out the door

I went outside and sat next to her in the hammock and said, "Kelly's a fat whore who wishes she was you in that gorgeous dress"

She looked over at me and said, "You don't have to do this, you know pretend like you care"

"I'm not pretending..." I said pulling her closer to me as she rested her head on my chest

"You know, I always pictured you getting married on the beach in a super simple white dress with a flower crown"

"That's exactly what I wanted... Now my wedding is a nightmare... I just wanted it to be simple"

"Come on, let's go" I said fully prepared to go take Kie to the store she was at and find her the perfect wedding dress

We got in her car and I drove to a store on the mainland. We went inside and a woman came to help us. Kie told the lady what she was looking for and she found a few dresses for her to try on. Kie went into the dressing room and tried the first dress on. It was okay, but it wasn't perfect.

She tried a few more on and she was taking extra time in the dressing room.

"Kie, need help?" I asked

"No" She said softly as she came out

My jaw might have actually dropped. This was the dress. She looked so beautiful. We both knew this was the dress. The woman made a few alterations, but it fits almost perfectly. Kie was so happy, I went to the front and paid for the dress while Kie put her normal clothes back on. The woman who helped Kie rang me up and she said, "It's fun seeing you and your fiance dress shopping together"

"Oh, uhh she isn't my fiance... Just my best friend" I said awkwardly

The woman seemed embarrassed and said, "Well, she's a very lucky girl to have a best friend like you"