In A Haze

On a roll!

Let's get into it.

First Person POV - Y/n

"Alright, you guys ready for whatever Hagrid's about to show us?" I asked as we arrived where his class was to take place.

Hermione and Ron were both being awkward and I eye them both annoyed. 

"Alright, what the hell you two? You have one argument and then you don't talk to each other?" I asked .

Neither of them said anything but instead huffed and turned in the opposite directions. Harry and I just looked at each other awkwardly, before being interrupted by a familiar voice.

"C'mon, now, get a move on!" Hagrid called out of his hut. "Got a real treat for yeh today! Great lesson comin' up! Everyone here? Right, follow me!"

Hagrid began walking towards the forest, but then turned to walk off around the edge of the trees, and five minutes later, we found ourselves outside a kind of paddock. There was nothing in there.

"Everyone gather 'round the fence here!" he called. "That's it - make sure yeh can see - now, firs' thing yeh'll want ter do is open yer books."

I had a flashback to when I first interacted with the crazy book that almost bit my hand off after I had first bought it.

"How?" interrupted the cold, annoying voice of Draco Malfoy.

However if he was here, that meant Blaise had to be somewhere nearby. I looked back past him, scanning the Slytherins until I saw him.

He was already looking at me and I smiled.

"Eh?" asked Hagrid looking around.

"How do we open our books?" Malfoy repeated.

He took out his copy of The Monster Book of Monsters, which he was bound shut with a length of rope. Other people had similar things like ropes and belts wrapped around it.

"Hasn' anyone bin able ter open their books?" asked Hagrid, looking sad.

I felt my bad but I still shook my head with the rest of the class.

"Yeh've got ter stroke 'em," said Hagrid, as though this was the most obvious thing in the world. "Look-"

He took Hermione's copy and ripped off the Spellotape that bound it. The book tried to bite, but Hagrid ran a giant forefinger down its spine, and the book shivered, and then fell open and lay quiet in his hand.

"Who would've thought stroking would be the key to its heart," said a familiar voice as Blaise came up and stood beside me.

"Oh, how silly we've all been!" Malfoy yelled sarcastically. "We should have stroked them! Why didn't we guess?!"

"I-I thought they were funny," Hagrid said uncertainly looking at me.

"Oh, tremendously funny! Really witty, giving us books that try and rip our hands off!"

"Lay off him, Malfoy," I snapped, "Plus you should invite the possibility of losing your hands, maybe you'd be better at Quidditch."

He didn't reply and I smiled and said, "The sweet peace that comes from the absence of your voice."

Hagrid was still looking sad and disappointed, and I wanted more than anything for his first lesson as a teacher to be a success. I looked at Hagrid and nodded signaling him to go on.