The Rat

Let's get into it.

First Person POV - Y/n

The euphoria of winning the Quidditch Cup lasted more than a week. Even the weather seemed to be celebrating.

As June approached, the days became cloudless and the sun shined bright.

Iced pumpkin juice was always available and I saw people laying on the grounds or boating across the lake, that is until they saw the squid and rushed back.

I wanted to do the same but Exams were soon and with my courseloads, I needed to study as much as possible.

Hermione handed us all our schedules one day and I nearly cried from reading it.

"Hermione? Y/n?" Ron said cautiously because Hermione was liable to explode when interrupted these days. "Er, are you sure you've copied down these times right for you and Y/n?"

"What?" snapped Hermione, picking up the exam schedules and examining them. "Yes, of course, I have."

"Is there any point asking how you and Y/n are going to sit for two exams at once?" asked Harry.

"No, have either of you seen my copy of Numerology and Gramatica?"

"Oh, yeah, I borrowed it for a bit of bedtime reading," said Ron, but very quietly.

When we weren't studying, we were with Hagrid trying to help with the appeal.

"Beaky's gettin' a bit depressed," Hagrid told us at class. "Bin cooped up too long. But still...we'll know the day after tomorrow."

As much as I cared, I couldn't worry about it. I was focused on exam after exam.

I couldn't even remember the exams I had taken when I had finally arrived at DADA, the only class I was sure about. I also relieved since there was only one more after.

It was the most unusual exam I had ever taken. A sort of obstacle course outside in the sun, where they had to wade across a deep paddling pool containing a Grindylow, cross a series of potholes full of Red Caps, squish their way across a patch of the marsh while ignoring misleading directions from a Hinkypunk, then climb into an old trunk and battle with a new Boggart.

"Excellent, Y/n," Lupin muttered as I climbed out of the trunk, grinning. "Full marks."

I waited for Harry, Ron and Hermione who all managed to get full marks as well.

We didn't get much time to celebrate since we saw Cornelius Fudge as we were headed back to the castle.

It just registered that the execution was today.

"Hello there, Y/n! Harry!" he said. "Just had an exam, I expect? Nearly finished?"

"Yes," I replied. 

"Lovely day," said Fudge, casting an eye over the lake. "Pity...pity..."

"I'm here on an unpleasant mission. The Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures required a witness to the execution of a mad Hippogriff. As I needed to visit Hogwarts to check on the Black situation, I was asked to step in."

"Does that mean the appeal's already happened?" Ron interrupted, stepping forward.

"No, no, it's scheduled for this afternoon," said Fudge, looking curiously at Ron.

"Then you might not have to witness an execution at all! The Hippogriff might get off!"

Before Fudge could answer, two wizards came through the castle doors behind him. One was so ancient he appeared to be withering before their very eyes, while the other was tall and strapping, with a thin back mustache.