Sweethearts

A/n: this is a gender neutral!reader, I thought I'd try that out again! Let me know how I did :)

This was requested by: iamKhrfan123

You met Tony at the beginning of your second year at MIT. The two of you had a class together, and nothing happened within the first few weeks of class. In fact, you really didn't even talk to him until the professor paired the two of you up on a project.

Not only did you two have arguably the best project out of the entire class, but you also grew feelings for each other. After a brief discussion, you two decided to go for it.

And boy are you glad you did. Well... you were glad. Three years together. Such great, fun, enjoyable years. The relationship started out as super fun, and then it got more serious and more meaningful. You even thought you were going to marry Tony Stark.

When his parents were killed in a car accident, you were his shoulder to cry on. He used it a lot, too. With you, he never felt the need to keep up the cool 'Stark' exterior. And things seemed to be okay when graduation was approaching. He seemed to be feeling better.

Things seemed to be okay, but they weren't.

"Are you fucking kidding me?! We have been together for three years and you decide to throw it all away on some... some dumb slut who doesn't even go to MIT? Some random chick from the side of the street was more appealing than your own fucking partner."

Tony sighed and rubbed his mouth. "Come on, (Y/n), I was mourning! I was in pain! I needed... I needed an outlet!" he tried to explain, sounding desperate at this point.

You let out a humorless laugh. "Wow, okay, using that excuse. It wouldn't hurt as much if you didn't have me, Tony! I was right here the entire time!" You were back to shouting, and you jabbed an accusing finger into his chest. "I told you I'd be here for anything. I thought I was. But clearly I wasn't enough for you... Clearly this relationship doesn't mean enough to you!"

"But it does!" Tony begged, chasing after you when you tried to turn away. He stopped right in front of you, hands on your shoulders to stop you from moving. "Honey, please, I love you so much. I do! I always have, and I'm positive I always will. Please... can you please forgive me?"

Biting your lip to try and stop the tears, you shook your head. You pulled out his grasp and took a couple steps back. "I don't know you anymore, Tony," you said, your voice wobbling on sobs, waiting to be released. You'd wait until you back to your apartment before you did that.

"(Y/n)-"

"Have a good life," you muttered, turning away from him completely and storming out of his apartment. He wanted to go after you, but his feet rooted him to the ground.

You needed time to cool off, he decided. He'd talk to you in the morning, see how you were. After all, you two were supposed to go on a trip in the summer. This couldn't be the end.

Could it?

Thirty Years Later

Tony didn't really want to go to this stupid college reunion thing. It felt stupid, and he didn't want to be bombarded with fans all night. That, or his haters. Tonight felt like one of those nights meant to be spent in the lab.

It was Steve who pushed him to do it. They'd grown a lot closer ever since the Accords, bombing, and subsequent huge reveal. For a while, it felt as if things were shattered forever. Until Nat showed up to the compound and had a genuine talk with Tony.

He didn't want to at first, but now he was so glad he did. Because now, the Avengers felt whole again, and even stronger than before. There was nothing they couldn't do.