When I Was Your Man

Based off of the Bruno Mars song of the same name (one of my karaoke go to's)

When you and Bucky first started dating, he called himself the luckiest man in the world. You were amazing, and he made sure to tell you that every day.

He doesn't know what happened, when he started to screw up, but he did. Now, instead of you laying beside him at night, his bed was empty. Cold. It was too big without another person there with him.

Bucky wasn't a huge listener of music before he met you, but then he was dating you and suddenly you guys had a song. It was cheesy, having a song as a couple, but it made you smile so bright and he found himself thinking of you every time the song came on the radio.

Even now, though it no longer felt right.

The worst part? You were friends with the other Avengers. That's how he met you, at one of Stark's parties and you just so happened to be there at the request of one of your best friends, Wanda.

So of course they knew about the break up, but they were still friends with you and Bucky caught the others talking about you a few times before entering a room. It makes him even more of a mess than he already is. Nearly every day he thinks his heart can't break anymore, but then he hear's your name, and there it goes.

Bucky found himself thinking back to the good times of the relationship, those early weeks of pure bliss. That "honeymoon" phase that all couples go through. He just didn't think he wouldn't be able to trudge out of the next phase.

He thinks back to it. How he stopped buying you flowers, and when you asked, he would just shrug about it. Say there wasn't any special occasion that needed celebrating. Soon after you stopped asking.

At first, he thought he was just comfortable around you and didn't need to be touchy all the time. So he stopped holding your hand when you'd sit on the couch and watch a movie or a show, or when you'd walk around the city a bit. You stopped trying after while, too.

Of course, he couldn't help being an Avenger, and you knew that! He made sure that was clear when you guys decided to date. You understood he'd have to go on missions. You were okay with it, albeit a tad bit worried about him.

What he didn't realize is he wasn't spending as much time with you anymore, either, because he'd want to rest all alone after missions and then he'd forget to text you or ask to hang out. For a while, you'd text first and he'd pick up the conversation. You must've gotten tired of that, too.

And while Bucky wasn't huge on parties, he should've tried for you. You sacrificed so much for him and he did diddly squat for you.

Now, he can't help but stare at you from across the common room of the Avengers Tower, staring you down from the bar as you danced with someone else. A new guy.

"Careful, you might burn holes in the back of his head."

"Maybe that's what I'm trying to do," Bucky grumbled. He turned, finally tearing his eyes away, and saw it was Sam who had spoken to him. He was behind the bar to get himself a drink, which he already had, and was now pouring one for Bucky.

The look on Sam's face fell. "Don't give me that bullshit, man. You know you had the shot and you ruined it. You missed. Stop being jealous over a guy who actually cares about the girl he's dating. It's been months. Move on. She did."

Bucky stood abruptly and shoved the glass Sam had put on the counter for him back to him. "Don't tell me shit I already know," he snapped, then stormed off without a word.

Months. You left him seven months ago and he was still groveling. It was kind of pathetic, and Bucky knew that. Maybe it was his pride that still kept him thinking about you, about how there's a different guy making you happy when it should be him.