The Student Card

In New York City, everybody is a somebody of some kind. The heir to a huge retail chain, related to an actor, their godmother is a famous pop singer. Which means no one has any real leverage over the other.

You're a student at Columbia University, your dream school. When you got the acceptance letter, your parents threw a huge dinner party and made the biggest deal. Now, you were scared you were going to start sinking before you could even start to swim.

Columbia might not be the first thing people think of when you say "engineering," but they had a good program and you were suddenly finding out why everyone asked if you had a good therapist before you started your first year.

This assignment, for a supposedly easy English core class that everyone said would be a breeze, was causing the most stress now. You had to find someone- an expert- from your dream career field and interview them.

If you couldn't get an interview, you got an F. That could not happen.

But you didn't know who to interview. You and your roommate brainstormed, and they brought up an idea.

"Message Tony Stark on Instagram," they said, as if telling you she saw a bird on her walk.

You shook your head. "Dude. That would be a dream interviewee, but impossible to get. He's freaking Iron Man. Sure, I'd love to ask him about his suits and what it was like building and creating something like that, but he's way too busy to even run his own socials. He'd never see the message. Or worse, he would, but wouldn't say anything because I'm just some college student with no connections."

Your roommate shook their head now. "Play the student card. Everyone loves to help out a student."

At first, you wanted to dismiss what they suggested. But... it wasn't such a terrible idea. "You know... honestly, even if that doesn't work with Tony Stark I'm sure I could with someone else. So worst case is I have to find someone else," you said out loud, reasoning with yourself.

They nodded their head. "Yes! Oh my god DM Tony Stark now."

So, you did. What did you have to lose? Not dignity, because hundreds of people probably DM the man every day, so you wouldn't be the one weirdo. And, like you said, you could pull the student card on someone else if this doesn't work out. Why not try?

You and your roommate crafted up the perfect message to send, then did. You made sure to hit all the important points: you were a student at Columbia wanting to go into engineering and would love to interview your hero for a class assignment.

You did your best not to kiss ass too much, but you did put a little bit of ego stroking in the message to see if it would help your case at all. What you said was true- you viewed him as a hero not just because he literally was a superhero, but because he's a regular guy who used his brain (and money to be fair) and built and incredible suit.

After you sent the message and freaked out for an hour, you let it slip your mind. You'd check back in a few days to see if you've heard anything. If not, time to find someone else. Luckily you got the assignment that afternoon, so you had some time before you needed to have the interview complete.

Two days passed and you had nearly forgotten about the entire thing until you got a notification on your phone. You checked it, having no idea what it might be and froze when you read the text.

"Holy shit," you said, sitting up quickly from your bed. Your roommate sat up as well, half asleep but wanting to know what was up. You turned to them and smiled. "I've got an interview with Tony Stark."

Your roommate woke up for that and started cheering loudly, ignoring the fact that it was a weekend and people next door were probably wanting to sleep in.