Connecting the Dots

I walked with Merrill with my arms hugging the crook of his arm. We walked through the busy street of this small town where we were placed. Mrs. Cuddles was riding on Merrill’s shoulders while Worm Boy was hiding in Merrill’s shirt pocket. Humans and yokai greeted us – well, mostly to me; everyone kept glaring at Merrill like he was carrying disease and he was affecting me. 

“I can’t wait to get out of here”, my friend grumbled, “They’re looking at me like I’m seconds away from doing a crime. All we need is people yelling at me; it’ll feel like past New York City.” 

“Get away from Beauty, you degenerate!” Mrs. Higglebottom, a usually sweet little old lady, kicked Merrill’s shin and shuffled away. 

Merrill swore in Spanish. “I’ll kick the wrinkles out of you, bruja!” I held him back before he decided to tackle the elderly lady. 

“Merrill! You're going to beat a little old lady!” I tried consoling him. 

“She kicked me! What was I supposed to do? Smile and wave?! Not this pendejo!” he defended. 

“In this place, yes, you’re going to have to.” I dragged him away from prying eyes to the quieter streets. “I’ve been here for a week, and I only managed to grasp a few pieces of information.” 

“Wait, you’ve been here for a week?! We've been here for a week?! I was unconscious for a week?! Why can’t I remember shit?!” 

“You need to calm down!” 

Merrill dramatically flailed his arms around. “I’m calm! I’m so calm! I'm like a gentle breeze before a tornado!” 

“...are you done?” I quirked my eye. 

He jumped his arms. “Yeah, I'm done. I needed to get it out of my system. What's the plan?” 

I sighed. “No clue. All I've done is gather as much information as I can. The Beast torments this town at night and kills anyone alone. His main target is Beauty, Beauty was promised to Gregory-” 

“Still a lame ass name.” 

“Gregory”, I stretched, “the town’s hero, a war veteran, and a fantastic hunter. If they’re married, Gregory stays more and protects the citizens here.” 

Merrill scoffed. “What a lame-ass excuse with a lame-ass name. He wants the full V.I.P. access between your legs.” 

I crossed my arms along with an eye roll. “Of course, you would think that.” 

“Tell me I'm wrong.” 

“Oh, you’re not wrong. I'm just stating that you have a dirty mind.” 

He gasped, dramatically. “Lee. It's like you don’t know me. My mind is both a blessing and a curse.” 

I rolled my eyes. “Despite us not remembering, Mrs. Cuddles and Worm Boy do.” 

“Hold up. You guys know how we got here?” 

The worm beamed with pride. “Certainly! A great anchorman-slash-reporter-slash-hair enthusiast -” 

“Please get to the point before I crush your squishy body.” I gave Merrill a pointed look. “What? Time is crucial.” 

Warren cleared his throat. “While remaining stuck in this dark, fairy tale loop, I wrote down each key point in what transpired the last few times”, he said, pulling out a few sheets of paper from inside his person. How he managed to hide in himself is a mystery. Merrill took the pages and inspected them. “All these cycles have in common is that you disappeared in every scenario.”