A Thousand Years

After shoveling piles of shit in the stables, it took me hours to get the smell off my body. I had to rely on essential oils and hot water. It kind of did the trick. If you're gonna ask, I burned the clothes I was wearing. I searched through my character's wardrobe; he got a decent taste (not enough to not hate it). I wore a light brown sleeveless vest over a simple black turtleneck, brown pants, and black boots. Nightfall came fast here. I roamed through the streets seeing people light candles in the lampposts. I headed for the town square since that's where the real party is located.

As soon as I arrived, the entire square was decorated with flowers. A long table was flooded with food. It almost made my mouth water. Key word: almost.

I grabbed a cup and sniffed the drink. I took a sip. Apple cider. Yummy. Warren popped out of my vest to sit on my shoulder. "What a party. Reminds me of my high school prom except I was much more popular than a wallflower like you", he commented, causing me to roll my eyes.

"If I wanted to, I could dance with a random stranger, but I rather not cause trouble", I reasoned, "Besides, we're supposed to listen for intel on a way to get home."

"Your plan was vague. I'll take point."

"Like you could lead with your "tiny" predicament."

"I can't believe you pulled a short joke on me." I didn't care.

I tried to mingle and socialize with the townsfolk... it didn't go well. Whenever I approached a group, they dispersed like flies. I sniffed my clothes. No foul odor which brings me to my next theory: they avoided me like I'm contaminated because they hate me in general. To them, I'm the town's delinquent. Heh. It's like I never left home. I even tried to be discreet – stealth was my thing – until they left in a hurry. Either they have good senses, or they know when to leave. Here I stand on the sidelines watching everyone have the time of their lives while I drink away my sorrows with apple cider. I gotta admit this was one tasty ass cider.

"I don't get it! This doesn't make any sense!" The worm in my shirt pocket yelled, furiously skimming through his notes. "He's ahead of schedule!"

I picked my ear hoping to dull out the shrillness of his voice. "Dare I ask who?"

"Gregory! The man who is betrothed to your turtle boo! He wasn't supposed to be here yet! He's three days ahead of schedule! Someone knows we're onto them!"

"Yeah, the author", I said, nonchalantly, "They're trying to speed up the process which means we need to figure out who it is and defeat them to escape and something tells me we're short on time. They're trying to make me disappear sooner and prevent Leo from sacrificing himself."

"Which means writing all this was for nothing", Warren said as he crumbled his papers, but I pulled them off his tiny hands.

"Hey, I said these were our cheat sheets and I mean it. So, the author is changing tactics, big whoop. It doesn't mean your notes won't be of help. The author reviewed their past mistakes to get the ending they wanted. The climax would begin, and we wouldn't know about it."

"Master!" I felt the heavy weight of a certain nuisance bouncing on my shoulders causing me to spill my drink. I frowned. I wanted to drink that. "I missed you!"

I turned to Mrs. Cuddles. "Anything to report?"

"Nothing out of the ordinary! Beauty got ready without a struggle, and I helped!"

I narrowed my eyes. "Should I be concerned?"

"No, Master! Cuddles did good! Promise!"

I sighed. She's too devoted to getting on my bad side.