My Demons

I rushed home using shadows. I stood in front of my front door still in my maid costume. Images of what transferred flash in my mind. The shadows were beginning to consume my body again. Shit! Not again! I burst through the doors. I saw the servants looking my way confused by my outburst.

"Get out", I ordered. They looked at me stunned. I growled. "Did I fucking stutter? I SAID EVERYBODY OUT!!!" I punched the wall to prove my point. One by one they left in fear. It didn't help me calm my nerves. It wouldn't surprise me if they contacted my mother and told her about my tantrum. Right... she'll be furious. More reason for her to upscale my training. I can already hear her scolding me for my childish behavior. That I should remain stoic and not let emotions cloud my judgment.

A little old woman walked up to my shaking body. Grandma Lucy. "Merrill. Are you alright, pequeño?" bless her caring soul. She may not be a blood relative, but she's the closest grandmother who cares for me. "You look pale. Did you eat?"

KILL! KILL! PAINT THE WALLS WITH HER BLOOD!

I shook my head. No! Stop it!

I put on a brave face. "Everything's fine, Lucia. I just need the house to myself." The shadows shifted. I bit my tongue focusing on the taste of blood. "I decided to let everyone off today. I'll compensate them for their trouble. Go home. Enjoy the rest of your day. Por favor."

Lucia nodded. "Call me if anything, pequeño." I shut the door gently.

PATHETIC! SHE WAS EASY TO KILL!

Shut up! Since when were you so annoying?

YOU'RE HOLDING YOURSELF BACK! YOU UNLEASHED YOUR HATRED TO THAT RABBIT! WHY IS THIS ANY DIFFERENT?

Lucia is innocent. She's not worth killing. Cuddles... Mrs. Cuddles... she deserved it...? I think... did I kill her? Holy shit! I killed a fucking puppet! Was she a puppet?

SHE WAS A CREATURE USING FEAR AS HER POWER SOURCE. YOU SAVED THE DAY. YOU SAVED EVERYONE, INCLUDING YOUR BEAUTIFUL LIGHT.

My light? Do you mean Leo?

BUT OF COURSE. HE SAID YOU DID A GOOD JOB. YOUR LIGHT WAS IMPRESSED WITH YOUR POWER.

He was impressed that I killed a talking rabbit. That didn't sound like Leo.

WHY ARE YOU HESITATING? YOU WANTED TO LIVE YOUR LIFE. YOU HAVE THE POWER TO FULFILL YOUR DESIRES.

I clutched my head as I made my way to my room. I made it to my bedroom tossing my costume and wig aside. I slid down to my floor holding my head. I need to block out the voices. Many voices echoed in my head.

WHY ARE YOU ESCAPING US? YOU CAN BE WITH YOUR LIGHT IN PIECE. NO ONE WILL COME BETWEEN YOU.

Shut up! Leave me alone!

YOU KNOW I SPEAK THE TRUTH! YOU WILL HAVE THE FREEDOM YOU DESERVE! NO ONE WILL SAY HOW YOU LIVE YOUR LIFE! NO ONE WILL STAND IN YOUR WAY! BELIEVE IN YOUR POWER! THE SHADOWS WILL OBEY THEIR MASTER!

Master?

...

I like the sound of that.

LET THE DARKNESS CONSUME YOU. EVERYTHING WILL BE PERFECT. YOU WILL RULE THE ENTIRE CITY!

Rule? I don't want to rule... I want a peaceful life.

PEACE CANNOT BE FORMED WITHOUT ORDER. AND A GRAND MONARCH WON'T BE COMPLETE WITHOUT A QUEEN.

A queen, huh? Leonardo is the perfect fit for the role. Would he agree?

THERE'S NO DOUBT, MASTER. YOUR LIGHT WILL AGREE. HE WILL BE ESTATIC AND HIS FAMILY WILL BE OUR SERVANTS. ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS BE PATIENT. NEW YORK CITY WILL BOW BEFORE THE SHADOW KING!