Enter the Beast's Castle

How can everything go wrong so fast?

Over a day and a half and we're faced with issues.

My focus relied on surviving and surviving and fighting through hordes of nightmares. On the bright side, these aren't my nightmares; so, they aren't my fears. I kept up my pace. They were obstacles like Father's practice robots testing my abilities and accuracies, testing my limit. The most significant difference was fighting with flesh limbs. I felt more blood pumping underneath my skin than I was used to. I was uncomfortable. But I could adapt, and it is something I'm used to.

I was fighting through my seventh wave. Somehow it was smaller than the last few. The author was losing their edge; or rather, they're planning something big. Maybe I've fallen into their trap without realizing it.

No. I allowed myself to fall for their trap. I volunteered. I knew what I was getting into. Do I regret it? Not in the slightest. Want to know why? Because I know I will win. Because I have a purpose. Because I want to stay by Lee's side; he's worth fighting for.

But during the countless struggles to remain victorious, my bandaged arm began to burn. Back then, the need to scratch was minimum hardly noticeable. Now, it was driving me insane. I had to bite my tongue to replace the urge. It didn't help.

Back to the fight. I was fighting nine – wait, make that eight. I just cut through a Beast's neck leaving a black mist. Eight monsters were gaining my speed. I noticed my surroundings were getting clearer. The fog was disappearing. The village was within sight. I didn't expect to be close by so quickly. What was the author planning?

I twisted my body to deliver a slice through a Beast's torso. As I landed, I keeled over but I managed to stand tall. Damn it! I'm going over my limit! I glared at my seven foes. The monsters grin at my expense. I didn't give them the benefit of the doubt as I twirled my knives. I leaped forward and stuck my weapons onto two Beasts' heads. The latest batch was weaker than the last counterparts. The monsters would've done something more than a cat-and-mouse game. I plunged my knife onto a courageous monster's belly and sliced through his neck.

Everything was a blur. Somehow my fight got me back to the village. I was winning that much I do know. But... it didn't feel like I won. It was as though I was handed the victory. I didn't earn my victory and that was unacceptable.

I finished the last two Beasts. I heaved. I get to finally breathe. "Look out!" Leo? He's here? Obviously. We do live here for the time being. I bit my tongue as I felt sharp claws dug into my backside. I felt blood seeping through my shirt. I glared at the last Beast. Dammit! I got distracted! No! It's not Lee's fault! I let my guard down; I got too relaxed. I glared at the Beast who was licking his claws.

I charged forward while the shadow creature was too occupied licking the remnants of blood. I stabbed him with ease and deadly grace like Mother taught me. Now it's over. It's done. I inhaled yet I smelled a putrid scent; I couldn't describe it. Suddenly, my bandaged arm was frantically twitching. The itch was immense; I couldn't take it! I started scratching. My long claws are deep through the wrappings. Claws?

I looked at my bandaged limp seeing my fingers twitching. My other hand already had sharp claws. Then, my arm began to grow dark and extend. Holy shit. I was transforming! I clung it closely to my chest. I'm turning into one of them!

"Merrill! Are you okay?" I heard Leo's voice and his steps running towards me. No! I couldn't let him get closer. I won't hurt him! When he got closer, I shoved Leo harshly. It was the only way to protect him.

"Get back! I don't know why... but... but I... my arm... it's... it's forming!" The voices echoed like muffled, faraway sounds in a cave. The villagers were coming for me. Angry eyes were taking in the events. I looked over at Raph who held a musket at my direction. There was plenty of space to make an escape; hell, I could've jumped over the angry mob, but my exhaustion was kicking in. The adrenaline was leaving my body. I had enough.