I Brought a Turtle to School One Day (Part 1)

On Sunday, Leo and I chilled mostly playing and talking. Leo had to leave since his brother wanted him to come home to do their patrol and whatever the hell they do. I kinda hope the slider would stay longer, but all good things come to an end. So, on Sunday, I prepared my bag and school supplies. The next thing I knew it was Monday. I was eating a bowl of cereal when my phone went off. I got a text from Leo wishing me luck along with a thumbs up. I smiled as I sent him a middle finger emoji. I rode my bike to the public school.

I parked my bike next to the school's entrance before activating the security protocol; it initiates an electric shock that paralyzed any thief who touched it or attempt to steal. I grabbed my helmet and my backpack and headed for the double doors. I stood in front of it. I really didn't want to come back to this shithole. It's no doubt everyone's gonna talk shit. I know I shouldn't care, but the fact that I'm the main topic just infuriates me.

I wanna stay home and play my piano. Me and Leo just vibin' and chillin'. I took a deep breath and pushed those heavy doors with determination. Everyone looked my way. Already the student body murmured in hushed whispers. I walked down the hallway ignoring every student glancing and whispering until I made it to my locker on the second floor.

As I managed to unlock my locker, I noticed someone standing next to me leaning against the lockers. "Hey, stranger, how was house arrest?"

I rolled my eyes. I looked at the girl with dyed violet hair and nose piercing. Her satin purple jacket shone under the lights. This was Kendra: my first ex. "Kendra, I see you're still Queen of the Damned. Correction, the Purple Dragons. How're your henchmen?"

Kendra shrugged. "Not as entertaining as you."

"I bet." I did my best to ignore her, but she insisted on talking my ear off.

"I heard you've been a busy bee. People seeing you do crazy shit lately. Possibly the drugs you're taking."

"The closest thing to drugs is smoking and weed, that's it. I don't get doped up on meds. That ain't me." I deposited my helmet and some textbooks I'd brought and exchanged them for a calculator and a pencil case. "Why are talking to me? Shouldn't you plan your next tech heist or something?"

Kendra became quiet for a moment. Kendra used to be my best friend until middle school when she started to change. We even started the Purple Dragons. One day, she had the fucking nerve to hack me! Dead ass. She literally hacked my brain and control me like a puppet with invisible strings. I dumbed her as both my friend and ex-girlfriend. Her father was a kiss ass sucking up to my parents for a promotion. My mother approved of my rejection (for once!). I shook my head.

"...I miss you", she said. It's not the first time she tried to get me back. At least tried to get me to reinstate with the PD. "It's quiet without you here..."

"Makes me wonder how the principal knew I was in his office in the first place". I said, matter-of-factly, "there was only me and Tiffany. Makes me wonder who really was in the wrong."

Kendra looked away, causing me to raise an eyebrow. "Yeah, weird, huh?" I slammed my locker shut and started to leave, unfortunately, she blocked my path. "Wanna do something Friday?" she asked, rubbing her neck.

I rolled my eyes again. "Nope. Got shit to do." If you count doing weekend homework, training, and, if I'm wrong, hanging out with Leo.

"There's the homecoming dance this Friday... didn't you notice the decorations?" apparently, I didn't, and I took the time to see the hanging balloons and colorful banners hanging all over the school. "Thought you might wanna come with me or we can ditch and do something fun and dangerous like ol' times. What do you say?"