Chapter 21: Bitter Coffee & Sweet Cream (Pt.1)

(Y/N's POV)

I was painting the second floor which had a spacious balcony for customers who'd like to sit outside on the second floor. It looked really nice, and the breeze was refreshing, the place was peaceful.

That is, until I heard a commotion from downstairs.

I think Kenji and Yamazaki-San are arguing because of the pain again, then I heard Kenji yell something to Hayashi-San. He's another guy who works here as well.

I sighed and shook my head, though this café is almost done, it still had a long way to go. How am I going to finish this second 'Stagiaire' in a week when the place is still not open yet??

Later after I finished, I wiped the beats of sweat off my forehead, and looked around with a content smile. "Alright, I painted every spot on the walls, and it looks good as new!" I spoke, more so to myself.

Suddenly, a strong scent of coffee burst through my nostrils. Walking outside to the balcony, I saw a truck in front of the café, and a man stood in front of the others with...so many bags of coffee beans!

"Now wonder the aroma was so strong!" I thought, raising both my brows. Then, I quickly ran downstairs, outside with the others.

It was like I walked into a thick bubble which made me feel uncomfortable all of a sudden. Everyone looked upset. My eyes widened as I saw the coffee bean bags, it was too much!

"What do you mean, 20 pieces of 20-kilo bags?" Shibata-San asked with a serious face. My mouth dropped, "20-kilos??!!".

"I...I'm sorry. I must have mistakenly ordered 20-kilo bags. Can we have a refund?" Kenji said, nervously.

"Are you kidding me?!" the man asked, angrily. "Who would kid in this situation?! And even if we did order this, why would a café order 20-kilo bags of beans that would cost thousands of Yen per kilogram?!" the oldest one, Kubo-San, stated. He glared at the delivery man, "You knew that it was a mistake, and yet you still sent them!".

"I asked several times over the phone; Are you sure that it's 20-kilos? Not 2-kilos?? We will not take them back. Send the 160,556 Yen by the end of the day" the delivery man stated and turned to leave.

"1-1-1-160, 556 Yen?!!!" I think I just had a mini heart attack!

"W-Wait! You can't just leave like this!" Yamazaki-San chased after the delivery man to his truck and tried to persuade him to fix this problem.

"What do we do now??" Hayashi-San asked, anxiously. "Oi, Kenji. Follow me inside" Shibata-San glared at Kenji, his voice was deep and serious. The two went inside the café, followed by the rest of us quietly. "Are you a little kid or something? Can't you tell the difference between 20-kilo and 2-kilo?".

Kenji looked down in shame, the tension in the air was getting thicker it made my back hurt like I was pushed against a wall.

"I-I'm sorry..." Kenji mumbled.

"Business is built on trust. DON'T YOU REALIZE THAT??!" Shibata-San suddenly screamed, which made me flinch and look at him with a terrified expression. "If we return these coffee beans, who'll trust us later? Who would want to do business with us if we're not taking this job seriously?!" he continued to yell.

"Oi, stop yelling at him. You're scaring the shit out of the Totsuki kid" Kubo-San stated, which made the owner look at me, seeing that I'm shoved in a small corner, staring at him with wide eyes like a scared puppy.

Shibata-San's angry expression softened, and then sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. He then walked out of the café, to his car, and drove away.

The silence was unbearable in here, things in this place is a lot different from the first 'Stagiaire'. I was thankful that Kudo-San broke the silence by continuing to work.