Chapter 39: Moon Festival 2 (Pt.1)

(3rd Person's POV)

It was finally the day of the festival, and every student in Totsuki academy stood in front of the stage as Kawashima Urara provided instructions and then sang the school anthem. Soma had a little trouble doing so since he didn't even know that this school had an anthem, which put him in an awkward situation. Even Megumi knows the anthem!

"THE TIME HAS COME! I NOW ANNOUNCE THE OPENING OF THE 'MOON FESTIVAL'!" director Senzaemon announced, as the gates opened for the thousands of customers who started filling the areas like a pack of locusts ready to devour everything in sight!

Kuga, Tsukiyo, and the rest of the 'Chinese Cuisine RS' recruits stood outside the booth as Kuga made a picture frame with his fingers, smiling in content at the sight of his large and fancy booth. Feeling optimistic as his restaurant will once again succeed in the 'Central Area' just like he did last year. Tsukiyo was already in a beautiful Chinese dress as she will put on a dancing show for the audience who will soon line up right outside Kuga's booth, to keep them entertained as they wait for their turn to enter and eat his food. Her hair was done in a low bun with pretty Sakura flowers decorating it, and some light make-up.

"If I may say so myself, I've created one very respectable restaurant here" Kuga complimented himself proudly. "Indeed, it's even bigger and more spacious than last year!" Tsukiyo added, smiling.

"Definitely!", "Just look at Yukihira Soma's booth in comparison" the two bald workers added, then they all turned to see Soma's little, and pathetic booth. "How dare he even consider challenging us with such a place?!".

"Hmm...Well, that could be my opinion, but it's kind of exciting to have a challenge this year" Tsukiyo smirked as she waved a big fan close to her face. "Is that so? Well then, let it begin" Kuga snickered as he turned around, walking inside the booth, followed by the workers.

-

Later...

"Oh, so this is Yukihira Soma's booth", "He's the one who made it to the finals, right?", "That smells really good. 'Black Pepper Buns', huh" customers commented as they passed by Soma's small booth, as the red head stood with crossed arms and a serious expression masked his face. Meanwhile, a long line of customers was formed in front of Kuga's booth, waiting their turn while Tsukiyo was gracefully dancing, her flowy traditional Chinese dress was following her steps as the customers stared at her in awe. Things were already going smoothly for Kuga's restaurant.

"They're piping hot!" Megumi yelled to attract customers.

Any customer.

Any animal.

Any creature, for goodness's sake!!

"'Black Pepper Buns', a Taiwanese specialty, huh" a voice suddenly spoke, and Soma looked to his left to see Kuga leaning on the wooden counter right next to him. "I do think it's a good angle if I have to be honest. It lets you distinguish yourself from my forte, 'Sichuan Cuisine', despite choosing 'Chinese Cuisine'. After all, its strong peppery bite and the juiciness of the meat will tend to enthrall those who taste it. But you know, it's pointless if no one shows up to eat it" Kuga started walking away with a devious smirk as he continued to degrade his rival.