Chapter 1 Nine thousand years old

Snowflakes were falling outside the window and a thick cotton quilt was spread out. It was freezing cold. Song Li was holding a hand warmer inlaid with jade and gold in his hand however he still couldn't help but sneeze.

He was most afraid of the cold. If he had known it would snow he would not have come out of the palace to join in the fun. Looking upward, he saw a piece of white rice paper hanging high with thick black ink spread out.

"Gold and jade are on the outside but there is rot and decay on the inside"

The writing is really majestic and proud with some hint of irony vaguely discernible.

It is said that the calligraphy was inscribed by Liu Yi, the most talented person in the capital. It was hung in Wangyue Tower where guests flocked to view. In just a few days it was well known throughout the streets and alleys, attracting countless literati to admire and entertain themselves. Although he didn't name anyone, everyone knew who he was criticising.

Song Li stretched out his hand and took hold of his snow-white fox fur cloak. His posture was very noble. He raised his lips mockingly and secretly said that no matter how much you hate me, you have to admit that I am born with good skin.

"Lord Qiansui, it's time to return to the palace. His Majesty is waiting."

Song Li glanced at his entourage and nodded. Before leaving the place he glanced at the calligraphy again and praised: "This is good calligraphy. If His Excellency, Lord Ye, is in charge of next year's examination, I can't say that there will be nothing that will catch his eye".

After hearing this the attendant hurriedly lowered his head and pretended not to hear anything.

This Lord Ye is Ye Chonghui, the only son of Prime Minister Ye. He was appointed as a cabinet minister at a young age. He should have a smooth future but he had to go against the powerful Jiu Qiansui (Song Li). Isn't this asking for death?

Song Li chuckled lightly. He knew why the child was afraid. Half of the memorials to impeach him in the imperial study room were handed over by Ye Chonghui. Over and over again, there were just these words - eunuchs are not allowed to interfere in politics.

Who knew that Emperor Huan Yuan, whom the world regarded as wise and mighty, actually disliked sitting at a desk handling government affairs and always had to be coaxed before he would even look at it.

If he really wanted to count, when that person was still the Crown Prince, most of the memorials handed over by the late emperor passed through his hands. He has been involved in politics for more than ten years but now he had just been awarded a serious official position. These people acted as if the sky is falling and as if he will destroy the country, which is very ridiculous.

But even if he and Ye Chonghui don't fight, they can't be killed even if they want it. In this world, King Yama is the person who decides life and death and he is not a kind person like him (SL).

Song Li yawned lazily. His fair cheeks were a little red from the cold but he was still so beautiful. He handed the hand warmer to the attendant. He stepped on the footstool and had not yet stepped on the carriage but the brown horse suddenly neighed and galloped away. Song Li almost felled on his back but luckily someone helped him from behind and managed to stabilise his body.

After calming down, he said in a deep voice: "Hurry up and chase".

As soon as he finished speaking several men in black rushed out from the surroundings and chased the crazy horse.

Song Li looked at their backs and vaguely felt something was wrong. He didn't plan to stay out for a long time so he didn't bring many people with him. The horses were carefully selected and should not have been easily frightened.

While he was thinking, suddenly a shining white blade sank into his chest.

The white snow on the ground soon turned red and the cold wind was biting. Song Li looked at the boy in front of him. This timid attendant looked at him with wide eyes and said: "Jiu Qiansui, rest in peace. Everyone wants you to die. Why do you stay in this world for so long, causing trouble to the country and endangering the country?"

There was a buzzing in Song Li's ears. The knife stabbed accurately, hitting the vital point. He lost consciousness without much pain.

Suddenly he seemed to see the past. He was being held by the man and playing with him on the dragon throne. He fiddled with the royal seal and complained: "I don't like this title."

"Why?"

"Throughout the ancient and modern times, everyone is called jiu (nine). Those who are qiansui (thousand year old) will have no good end. Think about it, you are long-lived, your children will be thousand years old, how can I live longer than them?"

The man smiled and said: "I will not have children in this life so A-Li needs to live longer so that I won't become a real loner."

Before he died, Song Li thought that he really shouldn't be called the life-threatening jiu qiansui (nine thousand years).