Chapter 7 A strange combination of circumstances

Ye Yanbai did not tell Madam An that the reason why he was so worried was because His Royal Highness the Crown Prince in the East Palace had done some unusual things recently which made him feel like he was in a fog and could not see through the inner doorway.

The Ye family has a very special position in the court. Although they are highly valued by the Holy Emperor, they do not belong to the pro-imperial party. At the same time, they are not affiliated with any faction. They always maintain a neutral attitude. Because they are deeply loved by the people and highly praised by the literati therefore highly respected in every possible way, their status is extremely high.

But it is not easy to maintain this state especially in recent years. The princes have gradually grown up. Except for the second prince who died young and the mentally damaged fifth prince, it is difficult to say that the others have not had any thoughts.

Ye Yanbai was well versed in the golden mean (the middle way, originating from Confucian thought). He treated several princes with much courtesy but not too familiarly. After every lecture, he would leave without leaving a single word.

Obviously what he did was not in line with Emperor Qingzong's wishes. The emperor wanted the Crown Prince to inherit the throne and appointed Ye Yanbai to be the Crown Prince's tutor. He would go to the study at the beginning of every month to give lectures. In fact, he wanted to let the Ye family know that the Crown Prince had a destiny. His talents deserve the full support of the Ye family.

However Ye Yanbai's lineage is the direct descendant of the Ye family in Jinzhou. Entering the court as an official violated the ancestral rules so he did not want to get involved in the fight between the princes lest he cause trouble. It would be a disaster that affects the clan members.

He had been pretending to be stupid all this time and Emperor Qingzong went to the imperial study to talk to him several times, eating snacks one after another, and drinking good tea one cup after another.

Finally Emperor Qingzong couldn't hold himself back and asked: "My beloved minister, what do you think of my princes?"

Ye Yanbai said in fear: "Your Majesty's princes are all talented and intelligent and they have your style."

This was too broad an answer. Emperor Qingzong frowned and then asked: "What do you think of the Crown Prince?"

Ye Yanbai said with sincerity and fear: "The Crown Prince is also talented and intelligent with Your Majesty's demeanour."

Emperor Qingzong was so angry that he wanted to hit him with the cup at hand but he finally endured it. Who gave this thousand-year-old fox a very good reputation outside? If he beat him in the imperial study room today, tomorrow the imperial censor's records will be piled up in the imperial cabinet. Those literati don't know anything else but they are best at quoting scriptures to criticize others. They also have hard tempers. It doesn't matter whether you are the emperor or the queen mother. If you do something wrong, you will be scolded.

So the emperor glared at him, waved his hand and said: "My dear minister, please step back and discipline the princes for me. Don't let me down."

After Ye Yanbai had eaten and drank; he respectfully left the imperial study room. When he came out, his palms were sweating. He was really afraid that Emperor Qingzong couldn't help but beat him.

Later, as he experienced more of this kind of thing, he became more and more comfortable with it. Even if the emperor asked him to bring his family to the palace banquet, he agreed without blinking.

Until the person from the East Palace found him and said, "Taifu, Wang Siqi is in ill health. I'm afraid he won't be able to be Gu's companion. I wonder if the Taifu can recommend a good candidate."