Chapter 130 Finale

After repeated verifications, it was found that there were sixteen officials in the capital, headed by Liu Zhizhou, a cabinet scholar, and more than thirty local officials. The charge of rebellion was confirmed, and they were escorted to the capital on the same day to be executed in the fall.

The situation was turbulent, and it was the common people who suffered in the end. In order to appease the people, the imperial court promulgated a bill to grant amnesty to the whole country and waive taxes for three years. The people respected Emperor Huan Yuan more and more.

In the outskirts of the capital, outside the ten-mile long pavilion.

A young man in sapphire blue clothes was pushing a yellow rosewood wheelchair. Sitting in the wheelchair was a young man in purple robe with cold eyes. He said softly: "Go back."

Lu Ziyan murmured softly: "Do you think I can't bear to leave you? It's just that I will worry unless I see you get on the carriage with my own eyes."

A bitter smile escaped from the corner of the purple-clothed youth's mouth, and he said to himself: "The matter has come to this, do you think I still have the ability to turn around?"

"If it were anyone else, there would be nothing to worry about, but you are the only one who we really can't say for sure."

Chen Zizhao looked at his bright face, unconsciously twitching the corners of his lips, and said: "That day in the court of the Ministry of Justice, I drank that cup of 'poisonous poison'. I thought my life would end there. When my consciousness was half asleep, I saw an illusion."

Lu Ziyan asked: "What illusion is it?"

Chen Zizhao narrowed his eyes and looked at the spring light outside the pavilion, with a hint of loss in his tone.

"I saw that I had been dormant in the capital for several years and finally got what I wanted. I took away the Gu family and created the Later Jin Dynasty. I pushed you to the throne. You were unwilling at first, but gradually, you began to pay attention to the people's livelihood and learnt to be a good Emperor. You always have all kinds of strange ideas in your mind. Simplify writing, promote basic education... You did a lot, and are deeply loved by the people, and admired by hundreds of officials. Even unofficial folk history are full of praises for you."

Lu Ziyan frowned and said, "Even now, you still can't let it go."

"No, on the contrary, I have let it all go."

Chen Zizhao said, "In that dream, you are still together with Lu Lin. There is no empress, no concubine, no heirs in your life, and not a single complaint. You and he live the life of a couple of gods and immortals, just like you did outside the palace. I underestimated you, underestimated Lu Lin, and I underestimated true love."

He valued glory, wealth, and supreme power.

Moreover, in the dream, he was living in regret. Although, he didn't know what he was regretting.

Perhaps it was because of the people killed by Gu Chen inside and outside the imperial city that day. The bones piled up like mountains, the blood flowed into rivers, and it became a blood alley. Some of these people deserved their crimes, and some were completely innocent.

It was Gu Chen who killed them, but it was all because of his strategy.

He once thought that as long as he could get revenge, he wouldn't care about anything else.

But when he comes back from his dreams at midnight, he is always sweating profusely. His only younger brother had always been afraid of him and regards him as a cold-blooded and ruthless person. His subordinates all fear him as if he is an evil ghost who seeks life.