Chapter 30 Happy New Year

Amidst the lively sound of firecrackers, Ye Chongjin ushered in his fourth year in the Ye family.

All the relatives of the Ye family are far away in Jinzhou. Although they exchange letters, they rarely visited each other and only return to their hometown to worship their ancestors at the end of the year. This was what old Master Ye wants. His family had no choice but to get involved in officialdom, but they did not want to tarnish the noble reputation of the clan.

Although the family members are not here, the New Year is very lively every year.

The Ye family has people all over the world. If any official with some talent and fame in this dynasty can trace their origins, they will definitely find a connection with the Ye family. Either they have been taught by the Ye family, or they have listened to the Ye family's knowledge, or they are simply members of the Ye family. Otherwise it is the Ye family's students teaching others.

For these reasons, it is natural to fraternise with each other during the New Year and give each other some calligraphy notes, which can also be regarded as elegant conversation.

The fifth day of the Lunar New Year is the day when relatives and friends visit each other. Many famous officials from the court came and everyone carried gift boxes in their hands. Manager Liu greeted them with a smile at the front of the door. Because Prime Minister Ye didn't like to make friends with officials, the door had always been deserted and it was a little lively in the past few days.

Madam An and grandma An were counting and registering the gifts. Ye Chongjin and Ye Chonghui followed behind them, appreciating and playing with it.

Madam An smiled and said, "You can take a look at it. If you like something, take it back and keep it for collection."

"Yes, Mother." The two of them responded obediently.

Ye Chongjin excitedly walked around but came back disappointed. The exquisitely packaged gift boxes in the room were all filled with calligraphy and painting treasures.

He remembers when he was the steward in the palace. At the end of every New Year, the subjects would bring treasures worth thousands of gold, such as the South China Sea Night Pearl, Purple Gold Coral, and Blue Blood Ruyi. There were also calligraphy and paintings, which were masterpieces of famous masters from the previous dynasty. They are said to be priceless in this world. But those calligraphy are not like these calligraphy treasures in front of him. These people are still alive and it can't be sold for a lot of money even if they want to.

In his previous life, he was regarded as a sycophant which is not without reason. He suffered a lot when he was a child, so he loved money very much. As long as someone shows filial piety, he will dare to accept it. Even if there is nowhere to use it, it will be more comfortable to put it in the house. Who in this world would hate having too much money?

That was what he originally thought. Just looking at the Ye family in front of him, he thought to himself that there was still something wrong.

Ye Chonghui was holding a calligraphy and painting by a famous official with his eyes shining. He always liked the aroma of pen, ink, paper and inkstone, unlike his younger brother who only liked the aroma of food.

Grandma An noticed the impatience on Ye Chongjin's eyebrows and asked, "Young Master does not like it?"

How could Ye Chongjin dare say that he thought these officials were shabby and when they came as guests, they gave some worthless calligraphy and paintings. He just said: "A-Jin does not understand these."

Grandma An then smiled and said, "I don't understand either but they are gifts from some talented and famous adults. I think they are very precious. Young Master, you might as well choose one and keep it for later. When you enter school in the future, you will understand after listening to the teacher's lectures."