Jashin's Angel (Hidan)

[Artwork is not mine! Credit to MauroIllustrator]

Requested by: reincarnationornotimfucked

Word Count: 3,995

Warnings and/or Pre-Notes:
- I learn the most unneeded shit for some of my fics
- Also a lot of my fics involve sleeping. Maybe it's a sign I need to sleep more
- Tad bit unhinged
- Threats/talk of death
- Toxic Religious Themes
- Buried Alive
———————————————————————
     My eyes roll over the heap of bedding and limbs curled up on my bed. It's weird, seeing someone using my bed after leaving it untouched for so long. I've always insisted Pain remove it from my room since it has no use. All it does is take up space but I guess it's a good thing it wasn't removed.
     I don't know what I'm supposed to do with myself. Usually, I sharpen my scythe or pray to Jashin while the others sleep. Occasionally, I sit outside or walk the forest edges with Itachi since it seems he doesn't need sleep either. Despite all that, I can't bring myself to leave the room in search of my fellow nocturnal member. Or to perform either of my usual nightly habits. What if it wakes her?
     What do I care if it wakes her? She fell asleep in my room, if my routine wakes her, it's her fault.
     My eyes scan the darkness, searching for the place I left my scythe as I make my mental checklist. Scythe, stone, water, sandpaper, rag. I repeat the list to myself, slowly collecting the items, and leaving them to rest on my desk.
     I'm moving slowly because I want to, because there's no point rushing around, that is all. I freeze when my scythe clicks against the floor because I want to, because I want to prepare for any complaint or bitching that might have followed. No other reason.
     I need to head toward the kitchen to collect my bowl of water, then I can sharpen my weapon. Unlike before, I stall in front of my bedroom door, my hand resting on the handle. I turn to the side, sights wandering my bed, the red bedsheets that have never been used before tonight, and the unhidden snip bits of the woman sleeping in it.
     The longer I look at her, the longer I think about leaving her alone in my room, the more uneasy I get. My stomach feels upset like it did that time Kakuzu and I had bad sushi. It feels like I'm shaking to the point that my eyes glance at the door handle to make sure I'm not. My heart thumps against my chest too, harder than it ever has, an annoying reminder that I am not a God like Jashin. The longer I stare, the more irritated I get, and the more I believe something will happen to her while I'm away.
     What do I care if something happens to her? It would be a waste of a sacrifice, yes, but she is not irreplaceable. It would be even better if someone attacked her while I was away. That would mean I had more sacrifices to offer my God.
     I finally push the handle down, letting my door creak open. I turn my head again, checking on her - because I want to pick a fight, not because I care if the sound woke her. Sadly, there will be no fight, seeing how she doesn't even stir in her sleep.
     I let out a sigh, of annoyance, as I walk out of my room. The further I walk away from my room, the more sick my stomach feels. Maybe something was wrong with the food Kakuzu and I brought back to the hideout today. I'm sure that's what it is.
     I move quickly around the kitchen, eager to get back to my room. To see if my gut is right, that's why. I want to see if there is an unwanted person within the walls of the hideout. I want to see if I have another sacrifice for Jashin. That is all.
     My walk back to my room is as irritating as walking out of my room was. If I move too fast the bowl of water will spill, leaving me out of my room longer. I will miss my extra sacrifice, the extra offering to my God. That is why I'm so eager to get back to my room, why I'm so annoyed that I filled the bowl too full.
     I open my door slowly, so the water doesn't spill, not so I don't wake her. Like I said before, she fell asleep in my room. If I wake her, it's her fault. She should sleep in her room, that's what it's there for.
     When my attention falls on my bed again, I don't feel sick anymore. I bet she's a witch, one that places a curse on me. I shall ask Jashin to rid me of her curse.
     I settle the bowl on the desk, glancing at the inconvenience in my bed once again. Still, no fight brewing, what a waste. As much of a waste as my bed and her taking up space in my room. In the morning I shall tell her I will present her with death if she falls asleep in my bed ever again.
     I place myself in the chair by my desk, letting the stone soak in water as I wipe down the blade of my scythe. As is work, I notice myself slowly inching toward my bed, toward the woman sleeping in my sheets. I'm interested in what sleep is, that is the reason I wish to be close to her, to watch what it is to sleep.
     She will die, in the morning. She can be my next sacrifice. A good one at that. That is why I'm drawn toward her so often because Jashin wishes to have her.
     I repeat the words - and my actions - as I sit next to my bed, spending the passing hours watching the night slowly bleed into the day. Watching the way the sunrise dances across her skin, the way it makes her hair glow.
     Yes, she's an angel, one of Jashin's. That is why He wants her back. His angel escaped His heavens and lost her way upon her path. I do not blame Him for wanting her back. As soon as she wakes, I'll return her to Jashin, I'll give back what is His.
     As the yellow of the sun starts to seep into the blue of the sky, she stirs. Her limbs move slowly like they haven't been oiled in a long time. A delicate wrist shifts upward, glowing beautifully in the sunlight as she rubs her eyes. It looks fragile like I could snap it without thinking, like my scythe could slice through it easier than water. Seeing her like this makes it hard to believe she's survived with the Akatsuki this long, that she spends her time among murderers and assassins, and that Pain's pet isn't a kitten.
     "Hidan?" Her voice slides out. It's jagged, not as smooth but still as soft as it is during the day.
     I'm going to rid the Earth of this witch that curses me with sickness, this freeloader that finds root in my bed, the dead weight clinging to the leader of the Akatsuki -
     "Good morning. I'm sorry I fell asleep in your bed. I didn't mean to." Her voice cuts my thoughts off, her words wrapping themselves around my lungs and squeezing them.
     - but not this morning. Perhaps I'll return her to Jashin this afternoon.
     "Good morning," I echo, climbing to my feet. "Did you sleep well, Angel?" The word slips out before I can stop it, my voice being the one to strangle my lungs now.
     Her head tilts, making the curtain of hair slide across her face. Her pink dusted, teeth grinned face. "Better than I have in a while."
     "Why is that?"
     "Because your bed smells like you."
     I change my mind, I'm going to kill her after breakfast.