Chapter 16

The quiet hum of the morning was abruptly shattered by the sound of a car engine pulling up the driveway. Taylor, who had just finished cleaning up after breakfast, glanced out the kitchen window and froze. The car was unmistakable—Joe's old sedan, he had brought from the wreckers when him and taylor were still dating. Her heart sank as she realized the significance of this uninvited arrival.

"Taylor, what's wrong?" Travis asked, noticing her sudden stillness.

Taylor didn't answer immediately. Instead, she continued to stare out the window, her mind racing. She had hoped that Amelia's father wouldn't come back, that he would stay away and let her find some semblance of stability. But now, the reality was setting in.

"Joe's here," Taylor said finally, her voice strained. "Amelia's father. He's come to take her back."

Travis's face tightened with concern. "We need to get Amelia. Now."

They both hurried upstairs, where Amelia was just beginning to stir awake. Taylor knocked gently on the door before opening it. Amelia looked up, her eyes still heavy with sleep.

"Amelia, we need to talk," Taylor said softly, trying to keep her voice calm despite the urgency in her tone.

Amelia sat up, her confusion quickly giving way to alarm as Taylor and Travis explained the situation. Her face drained of color as she realized what was happening.

"No, it can't be," Amelia whispered, her voice trembling. "Why is he here?"

"We don't know yet," Travis said, trying to reassure her. "But we're not going to let him take you away. We'll figure this out together."

As Taylor and Travis led Amelia downstairs, the tension in the house was palpable. Joe stood at the front door, his presence casting a long shadow over the foyer. He looked more drunk than Amelia remembered, but the same sternness in his eyes was unmistakable.

"Amelia," Joe said, his voice a mix of authority and something else—perhaps a hint of remorse. "you need to come home!"

The words hung in the air, heavy with the weight of unspoken history and unresolved conflicts. Amelia's eyes met Joe's, and for a moment, it felt like the world was holding its breath.

Taylor and Travis exchanged a determined glance, ready to stand their ground. Amelia took a deep breath, preparing herself for the confrontation ahead.

Amelia's heart raced as she stood at the top of the stairs, her mind struggling to process the reality of her father's unexpected return. Taylor and Travis flanked her, offering silent support as they descended the stairs together.

Joe's gaze shifted from Taylor and Travis to Amelia, a flicker of guilt crossing his features. "I came to get my daughter," Joe said firmly, but his voice carried a trace of hesitation.

Taylor stepped forward, her voice steady but filled with emotion. "Joe, we need to talk about this. Amelia's been through a lot, and you can't just come here and take her without any explanation."

Joe's eyes softened slightly as he looked at Taylor. "I understand. But I'm her father. I have the right to take her home."

Travis intervened, his tone calm yet resolute. "Joe, it's not just about your rights. It's about Amelia's well-being. She's been through a traumatic experience and needs stability right now. You can't just come back after all this time and expect things to be normal."

Joe looked back at Amelia, his face a mixture of regret and determination. "I know I've made mistakes. I'm not here to make excuses. I just want to make things right. Amelia, please come with me. We can try to fix this."