Chapter 23

Amelia woke up the next morning feeling drained, the memories of the night before still haunting her. The house was quiet, with just the soft hum of morning activity downstairs. She lay in bed for a few moments, staring at the ceiling, trying to muster the courage to face the day.

After finally getting up, Amelia made her way downstairs, where she found Taylor in the kitchen, preparing breakfast. Travis was sitting at the table, sipping coffee and reading something on his phone. The sight of them, so normal and comforting, made her feel a bit more at ease. But the anxiety still gnawed at her, making her stomach churn.

"Good morning, sweetheart," Taylor greeted her with a warm smile. "Did you sleep okay?"

Amelia forced a small smile in return. "Yeah, I did...eventually."

Travis looked up from his phone, concern evident in his eyes. "You sure? You look a little pale."

Amelia hesitated, her eyes flicking between the two of them. She had been thinking all night about how to tell them what was on her mind, but now that the moment had come, the words felt stuck in her throat.

"I, um... I need to talk to you guys about something," she finally said, her voice barely above a whisper.

Taylor immediately turned her full attention to Amelia, setting down the spatula she was holding. "Of course, sweetie. What's on your mind?"

Amelia took a deep breath, trying to steady herself. "It's about... the lawyer and the court. I've been thinking about it a lot, and... I'm scared. I'm really scared."

Travis set down his coffee and leaned forward, his expression serious. "What exactly are you scared of, Amelia? You can tell us anything."

Amelia swallowed hard, her eyes welling up with tears as she tried to find the right words. "I don't know if I can do it... I don't know if I can face him, and talk about everything in front of strangers. What if I mess up? What if they don't believe me? What if... what if he gets angry and tries to hurt me again?"

Taylor quickly moved to her side, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "Oh, Amelia, I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. But I want you to know that you don't have to do this alone. Travis and I will be with you every step of the way. We'll make sure you're safe."

Travis nodded in agreement. "The court is there to protect you, not to hurt you. I know it's terrifying, but your voice is powerful, Amelia. Telling the truth about what happened to you is the most important thing you can do, not just for yourself, but so that no one else has to go through what you did."

Amelia wiped away a tear that had slipped down her cheek. "But what if I can't do it? What if I freeze up, or... or say something wrong?"

Taylor gently turned Amelia to face her, looking into her eyes with a mix of tenderness and determination. "You don't have to be perfect, Amelia. Just be honest. The truth is what matters, and you're incredibly brave for even considering doing this. We'll help you prepare, and the lawyer will too. You won't be alone up there."

Amelia took another deep breath, trying to let their words sink in. "I just... I don't want to disappoint you guys. Or make things worse."

"You could never disappoint us," Travis said, his voice firm but kind. "And as for making things worse, the only person responsible for any of this is your father. You're doing what's right by standing up for yourself. That's something to be proud of, not something to fear."

Taylor squeezed her shoulder. "No matter what happens, we're here for you, okay? And we'll take this one step at a time. You don't have to make any decisions right this second."