Chapter 25

The clock on the wall of the lawyer's office ticked quietly as Amelia, Taylor, and Travis sat in the sleek, modern waiting area. The office, with its muted colors and clean lines, was meant to be professional and welcoming, but for Amelia, it felt sterile and intimidating. She fidgeted with the hem of her sweater, her gaze darting around the room.

Taylor sat beside Amelia, her presence a comforting anchor. Travis leaned against the wall, his expression a mix of concern and encouragement. Amelia's nerves were palpable, and Taylor could sense her growing discomfort.

The lawyer, a tall woman with a kind but firm demeanor named Ms. Cartwright, stepped out of her office. "Amelia, we're ready for you," she said gently. She turned to Taylor and Travis. "I'd like to speak with Amelia alone for a bit. It's important for her to share her thoughts and feelings privately."

Amelia's eyes widened, her grip on Taylor's hand tightening. "Do I have to go in alone?"

Taylor looked at Ms. Cartwright, then back at Amelia. "It's okay, sweetie. We're right here. If you need us, just let us know."

Travis nodded in agreement, his expression softening. "We'll be right outside. If you feel uncomfortable or need us, just say so."

Amelia took a deep breath, her anxiety evident. "I don't want to go in without you guys."

Ms. Cartwright approached Amelia with a reassuring smile. "I understand this is difficult, Amelia. It's just that having a private conversation can sometimes help us understand your situation better. It's really important for your case."

Taylor squeezed Amelia's shoulder. "I'll stay in the waiting area, just outside the door. Travis will be with me. You're not alone."

Amelia hesitated, her eyes darting between Taylor and Ms. Cartwright. "But what if I can't say everything I need to?"

"You can," Taylor said firmly. "We believe in you. And remember, we're just outside. If you need anything, we're right here."

With a final, reassuring nod from Taylor and Travis, Amelia reluctantly stood up and followed Ms. Cartwright into the office. Taylor and Travis watched as the door closed behind them, the quiet thud echoing Amelia's apprehension.

The minutes stretched long as Taylor and Travis sat in silence, their thoughts occupied with Amelia. They could hear murmurs from the office, though the conversation remained out of reach. Taylor glanced at Travis, her eyes reflecting the same concern and hope.

"How do you think she's doing?" Taylor asked softly.

"I hope she's opening up," Travis replied, his voice low. "It's tough for her, but she's strong. I know she'll get through this."

Taylor nodded, squeezing Travis's hand. "We've done everything we can to support her. Now it's up to her to find her voice."

The door to Ms. Cartwright's office clicked shut, leaving Amelia alone with the lawyer. The room felt smaller and more suffocating now, the quiet hum of the air conditioner the only sound in the otherwise still room. Amelia sat in the chair across from Ms. Cartwright's desk, her fingers nervously twisting the edges of her sweater.

Ms. Cartwright, a tall woman with an empathetic yet professional demeanor, settled into her chair behind the desk. She looked at Amelia with understanding eyes, her posture inviting but firm. "Amelia, I know this is really hard. You don't have to share everything all at once, but it's important that you tell me what happened so we can help you."

Amelia's eyes flitted around the room, avoiding direct contact. She fidgeted with the hem of her sweater, her mind racing. "I don't know if I can talk about it," she said, her voice barely above a whisper.