Chapter 38

The sun barely peeked through the clouds as Amelia sat on the edge of her bed, her eyes following the shadows that danced across the room. The house, usually filled with warmth and laughter, felt different today—thicker, heavier. It was as if the walls themselves were holding their breath, waiting for something to happen. The tension was almost tangible, buzzing in the air like static before a storm.

Down the hall, Amelia could hear the familiar sounds of Taylor moving through her morning routine. Suitcases zipped, drawers opened and closed, and the occasional hum of a tune under Taylor's breath that didn't quite reach the brightness it usually held. The tour was starting again—this time in Tokyo, a world away from where they were now. Amelia knew how much the tour meant to Taylor, how important it was to her fans. But still, a part of her felt like she was being left behind, forgotten in the whirlwind of it all.

Meanwhile, Travis was in the living room, surrounded by duffle bags and gear. His focus was entirely on Phoenix, where the Super Bowl awaited him. He was a bundle of energy, but Amelia could sense the strain behind his enthusiasm. His smiles didn't quite reach his eyes, and when he thought no one was looking, she caught him stealing glances toward the hallway, where Taylor was preparing to leave.

Amelia hugged her knees to her chest, feeling the weight of their busy lives pressing down on her. She wasn't sure where she fit into all of this—Taylor's world of glittering stages and adoring fans, or Travis's high-stakes games that captivated millions. Both of them were being pulled in different directions, and Amelia, caught in the middle, wasn't sure where she belonged.

Taking a deep breath, she slipped off her bed and padded quietly to the doorway. She watched from the shadows as Taylor carefully placed the last of her things into her carry-on. Taylor caught sight of her and smiled softly, though her eyes were tired.

"Hey, sweetie," Taylor said, walking over to Amelia. She knelt down so they were eye level, brushing a stray hair from Amelia's face. "How are you holding up?"

Amelia shrugged, not trusting herself to speak. How could she put into words the knot of anxiety that twisted in her stomach every time she thought about Taylor leaving? Or the confusion she felt about where she was supposed to be, what she was supposed to do, when both Taylor and Travis were caught up in their careers?

"I know it's a lot," Taylor said, as if reading her thoughts. "I'm going to miss you so much. But I'll be back before you know it, okay? And we'll video chat every day, I promise."

Amelia nodded, trying to muster a smile. "Okay."

"Good," Taylor said, pressing a kiss to Amelia's forehead. "Why don't you go see what Travis is up to? I think he's almost done packing too."

Amelia hesitated but eventually nodded again. She turned and made her way to the living room, where Travis was stuffing the last of his things into a large duffel bag. He looked up as she approached, his face breaking into a grin.

"Hey, kiddo," he said, ruffling her hair. "You excited for the big game?"

Amelia managed a small smile. "Yeah, I guess so."

"Guess so?" Travis teased, though his tone was gentler than usual. "You'll be cheering me on from the stands, right?"

"Of course," she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

Travis's grin softened, and he crouched down to her level, just as Taylor had. "I know it's tough with both of us leaving at the same time," he said, his voice sincere. "But we're going to make sure you're okay. You're our top priority, Amelia. We'll always find our way back to you."

Amelia bit her lip, nodding, though the words didn't quite ease the ache in her chest. She knew they meant well, but it didn't stop her from feeling like she was being left behind in their busy, glamorous worlds.