Chapter 22

The house was silent, the only sound the faint hum of the air conditioner and the occasional creak of the old wooden floors. It was the kind of stillness that made every thought in Amelia's head seem louder, more oppressive. She lay in bed, staring at the ceiling, her mind racing with memories she wished she could forget.

The darkness felt suffocating, wrapping around her like the heavy blankets she couldn't seem to throw off. Every time she closed her eyes, the past came rushing back—her father's angry voice, the cold look in his eyes, the way he used to tower over her, making her feel small, helpless.

She remembered the nights when he would storm into her room, yelling about something insignificant, something she had no control over. The times when his words would cut deeper than any physical blow, telling her she was worthless, that she'd never amount to anything. And then there were the times when he wasn't just angry, but something worse—cold, calculating, as if he enjoyed watching her crumble.

Amelia shivered, pulling the covers tighter around herself. She hated that even now, miles away from him, in a house full of people who cared about her, she could still feel his presence. It was like a shadow that followed her everywhere, a constant reminder of everything she'd been through.

She thought about the lawyer, about giving a statement, and the idea terrified her. It wasn't just the fear of reliving those moments, but the fear of not being believed, of somehow being blamed for what happened. Her father had always been so good at twisting things, making her doubt herself, making her feel like she was the one in the wrong.

A tear slipped down her cheek, quickly followed by another. Amelia didn't bother wiping them away. She was tired of being strong, of pretending everything was okay when it wasn't. The truth was, she was scared—scared of her father, scared of the future, scared of what might happen if she spoke out.

But more than anything, she was scared of being alone. Even though Taylor and Travis had been nothing but supportive, there was still a part of her that feared they would leave, that they would see her as too much to handle, just like her father always had.

She rolled over, curling into herself, trying to block out the memories, but they kept coming. The time he grabbed her arm so hard it left bruises, the way he would slam doors and throw things when he was angry, the way he made her feel like she was walking on eggshells every single day.

Amelia's breath hitched as the memories overwhelmed her. She wanted to scream, to cry out for help, but she knew it wouldn't change anything. The past was done, and no amount of tears could erase it.

She thought about Taylor, about the way she had promised to always be there for her. Maybe she could help, maybe she would understand. But what if she didn't? What if she saw Amelia as weak, as damaged?

Amelia squeezed her eyes shut, trying to block out the doubts. She didn't want to think about it anymore, but the thoughts kept coming, swirling around in her head until she felt like she was drowning in them.

Finally, she couldn't take it anymore. She needed to talk to someone, to let out everything she'd been holding in. Slowly, she pushed back the covers and got out of bed, her feet making no sound on the carpeted floor. She hesitated for a moment at the door, unsure if she should wake Taylor, but the thought of being alone with her thoughts for another minute was too much to bear.

With a deep breath, she opened the door and stepped out into the hallway, the dim light casting long shadows on the walls. She walked slowly towards Taylor's room, her heart pounding in her chest, hoping that maybe, just maybe, Taylor could help her find some peace.

*Flashback*

Amelia's mind drifted back to a night she had tried so hard to forget, yet it haunted her like a shadow in the dead of night. She was only twelve years old, but she remembered every detail as if it had happened yesterday.