Chapter 69

The morning sun was already bright when Amelia decided she couldn't wait any longer. She slipped out of the house early, eager to catch up with Logan and his friends on the beach. The previous day had been a breath of fresh air, and she was looking forward to another day of fun.

As she walked down the sandy path toward the beach, Amelia felt a mix of anticipation and excitement. She could already hear the distant sounds of laughter and waves crashing against the shore. But when she finally reached the beach, her heart sank.

There, near the shore, was Logan, hugging a tall brunette girl tightly. Amelia's heart skipped a beat as she recognized her from the evening before. The girl's long hair flowed in the sea breeze, and her laughter rang out like a bell. Logan looked equally happy, and the sight made Amelia's stomach churn.

The girl noticed Amelia approaching and waved. "Hey, you must be Amelia! I'm Kayla. Logan's told me so much about you!"

Amelia tried to keep her composure, but her heart was pounding. "Oh, hi," she managed to say, her voice trembling slightly. "I didn't realize you were..."

Kayla cut her off with a bright smile. "Yeah, just got back from Vegas. I'm 16, by the way. I heard Logan had made a new friend."

The words hit Amelia like a ton of bricks. Her face flushed with humiliation as she pieced together what was happening. The girl was Logan's girlfriend, and she had just returned from a trip. All the excitement she had felt over the past few days evaporated, replaced by a deep sense of betrayal and embarrassment.

Without saying another word, Amelia turned and ran back up the beach, tears streaming down her face. She didn't look back, her thoughts a chaotic mess of hurt and confusion. The sandy path seemed endless, and she couldn't get to the house fast enough.

James, who had followed Amelia to the beach, caught up with her just as they neared the house. Her face was red from running and crying. James's eyes were filled with concern. "Are you okay?" she asked, her voice laced with worry.

Amelia could barely speak through her sobs. "What do you think? He was just using me for entertainment!" she cried out, her words punctuated by sobs. "I should have known better!"

As they approached the house, Taylor, who had been preparing breakfast in the kitchen, noticed Amelia's distressed state and rushed outside. "What's wrong, Amelia?" she asked, her voice full of concern.

Amelia, unable to answer, just shook her head. She was overwhelmed by the emotions surging through her. Without a word, she pushed past Taylor and hurried up the stairs to her room, slamming the door behind her.

Taylor and James stood at the bottom of the stairs, looking at each other in confusion. Taylor's heart ached seeing Amelia like this. She knew she had to give Amelia space but couldn't shake the feeling that she needed to do something to help.

As Amelia sat on her bed, tears streaming down her face, she felt a profound sense of loneliness. The comfort she had sought in Logan had been nothing more than a fleeting illusion, and the sting of betrayal was sharp. She wanted to be alone, to process the hurt and disappointment, but she also knew that she needed to confront her feelings and find a way to heal.

The house felt distant and quiet as Amelia tried to collect herself. The warmth and excitement of the previous days seemed like a distant memory, replaced by the harsh reality of unspoken truths. For now, all she wanted was to be alone, away from the world that felt so confusing and unforgiving.

The afternoon sun had begun its slow descent toward the horizon, casting long shadows across the house. Taylor, still feeling the weight of Amelia's distress from the earlier confrontation, decided she needed to check in on her. She had a sinking feeling that Amelia's tears were connected to Logan, but she wanted to approach the situation gently.

She approached Amelia's room, her footsteps light on the plush carpet. The door was slightly ajar, and as Taylor nudged it open, she saw Amelia sitting on the edge of her bed, her back hunched and her shoulders trembling with quiet sobs.

Taylor took a deep breath before stepping inside and gently closing the door behind her. The room was filled with a soft, golden light that seemed to emphasize the stark contrast of Amelia's tear-streaked face. Taylor's heart ached seeing her like this, and she took a seat next to Amelia on the bed, careful not to intrude too abruptly.

"Tough day, huh?" Taylor's voice was soft, but it carried a warmth that she hoped would make Amelia feel safe enough to open up.

Amelia didn't immediately respond. Instead, she buried her face in her hands, her sobs growing more intense. Taylor waited patiently, giving Amelia the space to express her feelings in her own time.

Eventually, Amelia looked up, her eyes red and puffy. "You don't understand, Taylor," she choked out, her voice thick with emotion. "I thought Logan was... I don't know, I thought he liked me. But today, when I saw him with that girl—she's his girlfriend—everything just fell apart."

Taylor's heart sank. She reached out and placed a comforting hand on Amelia's back. "I'm so sorry, Amelia. I know you were really excited about getting to know Logan. It must be so hurtful to find out that he was involved with someone else."

Amelia nodded, her tears continuing to flow. "I just... I thought maybe, just maybe, I could have a chance to be a normal teenager for once. I thought maybe things would be different this time. But it feels like I'm always going to be the outsider, the one who doesn't fit in."

Taylor could feel the depth of Amelia's hurt, and it was clear that this experience had been more than just a disappointment—it was a crushing blow to her sense of belonging and self-worth. Taylor took Amelia's hands in hers, squeezing them gently.

"I know it's hard," Taylor said softly. "But you're not alone in this. Sometimes, things don't work out the way we hope they will. And that doesn't make you any less worthy of happiness or love."

Amelia looked at Taylor, her eyes reflecting a mixture of pain and vulnerability. "I just wanted to feel like I belonged somewhere, even if it was just for a little while."

Taylor's heart ached for Amelia. She could see how much she needed reassurance and understanding. "You do belong, Amelia. Not just here, but wherever you choose to be. It's okay to feel hurt right now, but don't let this experience define who you are or how you see yourself."

Amelia nodded, taking a shaky breath. "Thank you, Taylor. I just needed to hear that. I guess I let my guard down and it backfired."

Taylor pulled Amelia into a gentle hug, holding her close. "It's okay to let your guard down sometimes. It's how we connect with others. And even if things didn't turn out the way you hoped with Logan, it doesn't mean you won't find other people who appreciate you for who you are."

The room was quiet for a moment, filled only with the soft sounds of Amelia's breathing and Taylor's comforting presence. As the sun continued its slow journey across the sky, the shadows in the room seemed to lift slightly, replaced by a renewed sense of hope and understanding.

Taylor continued to hold Amelia, knowing that while the road ahead might still be challenging, the support and love they shared could help navigate through the rough patches.

"Let's take this one step at a time," Taylor said gently. "We'll get through this together, okay?"

Amelia looked up at Taylor with a small, grateful smile. "Okay."

As Taylor stood to leave, she glanced back at Amelia, hoping that the warmth and sincerity of their conversation had provided a small measure of solace. She knew that the road to healing would be a long one, but she was determined to help Amelia every step of the way.

As Taylor left the room, she felt a renewed sense of commitment to being there for Amelia, ready to support her through whatever came next.