Chapter 65

Amelia paced around her room, her phone clutched in her hand. The message from Logan sat on the screen, glowing with potential. She'd had a great time with him earlier, and the idea of spending the next day on the beach with him, his friends, and his younger brother was too tempting to resist. But she knew she had to tread carefully. Taylor and Travis had just set boundaries with her, and asking for permission to hang out with an older guy might not go over well. Still, she had to try.

Taking a deep breath, Amelia made her way to Taylor and Travis's room. The door was slightly ajar, and she could see them getting ready for bed. Taylor was flipping through a book, and Travis was adjusting the pillows. They looked so calm and at peace, and for a moment, Amelia hesitated. But then she thought about Logan's invite and how much she wanted to go. She knocked gently on the door.

"Hey, can I talk to you guys for a sec?" Amelia asked, stepping into the room.

Taylor looked up from her book, a warm smile on her face. "Of course, honey. What's on your mind?"

Amelia fidgeted with her phone, trying to find the right words. "So, um, Logan texted me just now. He invited me and James to hang out at the beach tomorrow. His friends and his little brother are going to be there too."

Travis raised an eyebrow, clearly surprised by the request. "Logan? The boy you met earlier?"

"Yeah," Amelia nodded quickly. "I know you guys are worried, but it's not just going to be the two of us. There will be other people, and James will be there too. I promise to text or call to check in every couple of hours. Please? I really want to go."

Taylor exchanged a glance with Travis. The air between them was heavy with unspoken concerns. They had just gone through a rollercoaster of emotions with Amelia sneaking out to meet Logan, and while she was making an effort to be honest now, the idea of her spending time with an older boy still didn't sit right with them.

"Amelia," Taylor began carefully, "it's not that we don't trust you, but you have to understand why we're worried. We don't know Logan, and after everything that's happened, we're just trying to look out for you."

"I know," Amelia replied earnestly. "And I really appreciate that. But I need to have some freedom too. I promise I'll be careful, and I'll keep you updated the whole time. I just... I want to have fun and be a normal teenager for a bit."

Travis sighed, clearly conflicted. "It's not that we want to keep you from having fun, Amelia. We just want to make sure you're safe. And hanging out with an older guy, even with other people around, it just... it worries us."

Amelia could feel her heart sinking, but she pushed on. "I get that, but I swear I'll be safe. It's not like we're going to be alone. James will be with me, and there will be other kids there too. Please, just give me a chance."

Taylor and Travis exchanged another look, this time softer, more understanding. They could see how much this meant to Amelia, and they didn't want to smother her. They were trying to find the balance between protecting her and letting her grow.

"Okay," Taylor finally said, her tone cautious. "But you have to stick to your promise, Amelia. Check in with us regularly, and if at any point you feel uncomfortable or something doesn't seem right, you call us immediately. And you stay with James. No wandering off alone."

Amelia's face lit up with a smile. "Thank you! I promise I'll be careful. You won't regret this."

Travis nodded, though the concern in his eyes hadn't fully faded. "We're trusting you, Amelia. Just remember that, okay?"

"I will," Amelia said, beaming. "Thank you, really."

As she left their room, Amelia felt a mix of excitement and relief. She was grateful they were giving her a chance, and she was determined to prove to them that she could handle it. But there was also a small knot of anxiety in her stomach. She knew she had pushed hard for this, and now she had to make sure nothing went wrong.

Back in her room, Amelia texted Logan back: "I'm in. See you tomorrow."

As she lay in bed, the anticipation of the next day kept her awake, her mind buzzing with thoughts of what it would be like to spend the day on the beach with Logan and his friends. She was excited, but she also knew she had to be careful. Taylor and Travis were trusting her, and she couldn't let them down.