Chapter 83

The sun was setting over the Rhode Island shore, painting the sky in hues of orange and pink. The warm evening breeze carried the distant sounds of laughter and the crash of waves. Inside the beach house, Amelia and James were buzzing with excitement, their secret plan set to unfold that night.

"Can you believe it? A bonfire on the beach!" James exclaimed, her eyes sparkling with enthusiasm. She had been looking forward to spending time with Owen, who had quickly become a close friend. The text from Logan and Owen had set her heart racing with anticipation.

Amelia smiled, though her excitement was tempered with a hint of anxiety. "I know, but Taylor and Blake won't be too happy about us going. Especially since it's just the two of us."

James's face fell slightly. "I know, but we'll be back before dinner. It's just a bonfire. What could go wrong?"

Amelia took a deep breath, trying to steady her nerves. She had been wracking her brain for a plausible excuse to tell Taylor and Blake, but every lie she came up with felt flimsy and unrealistic. So, she decided to keep it simple.

"Alright, let's just tell them we're going to the beach and we'll be back by dinner. We don't have to say exactly what we're doing." Amelia said, trying to sound more confident than she felt. She gave James a reassuring smile. "It'll be fine. We'll handle whatever comes up later."

The afternoon quickly gave way to evening, and Amelia and James prepared for their outing. Amelia chose a casual outfit—comfortable jeans and a cozy sweater—and grabbed a small bag with the essentials: sunscreen, a flashlight, and a light jacket. James did the same, adding a few extra snacks to her bag.

As they walked down the path to the beach, the sky had turned a deeper shade of twilight blue, with stars beginning to peek out. The air was cooler now, but the warmth from the setting sun still lingered.

"Are you sure this is going to be okay?" James asked, her excitement now tinged with a bit of nervousness.

Amelia nodded, trying to reassure her friend. "Yeah, we just need to be back before dinner. Taylor and Blake won't even know we were gone."

When they reached the beach, the sight before them was just as magical as they had hoped. Logan and Owen were already there, a small bonfire crackling in the center of a circle of beach chairs and blankets. The fire's glow illuminated their faces, casting a warm light that danced with the flames.

"Hey!" Logan greeted them with a broad smile. "Glad you could make it."

Owen, his face lit up with excitement, waved enthusiastically. "We've got s'mores and everything! Just like you wanted."

Amelia and James greeted their friends and settled down by the fire. The evening passed quickly in a blur of laughter, stories, and the comforting crackle of the fire. They roasted marshmallows and made s'mores, shared jokes, and enjoyed each other's company. The sky darkened further, but the warmth of the fire kept the chill at bay.

For Amelia, the worries about what Taylor and Blake might think seemed to fade into the background as she enjoyed the simple pleasures of the night. The connection with Logan and the camaraderie with Owen and James was a welcome distraction from her usual anxieties.

As the night wore on, Amelia glanced at her phone and saw that it was nearly time to head back. She and James had promised to be home before dinner, and it was almost time to uphold that promise.

"Hey, we should start heading back soon," Amelia said, trying to sound casual. "We've had a great time, but we need to stick to our plan."

James nodded, though she looked a bit reluctant. "I know. I've had a lot of fun tonight. Thanks for coming with me."