Chapter 62

Amelia lay in bed, staring at the ceiling, the argument from the previous night echoing in her mind. The moonlight cast faint shadows across her room, but sleep eluded her. The fight with Taylor had been intense, leaving Amelia feeling both angry and misunderstood. She was still seething when her phone buzzed on the nightstand.

It was Logan's text: "I'm about to head down to the beach, if you want to join?"

Amelia's heart skipped a beat. She had only known Logan for a short while, but the brief connection they'd shared on the beach had been a welcome distraction from her usual anxieties. Despite Taylor's harsh words, Amelia felt a pull towards this chance to escape her current reality, even if it meant defying Taylor's wishes.

Amelia's fingers hovered over her phone, her mind racing. She knew Taylor wouldn't approve, but she was still angry about the argument. After a moment's hesitation, she texted back: "Sure, I'll be down in 10."

Throwing off her covers, Amelia slipped out of bed and tiptoed to her closet. She pulled on a simple pair of shorts and a hoodie, the chill of the early morning air cutting through the fabric. She grabbed a light jacket, not wanting to risk catching a cold, and quietly slipped out of the house.

The sky was still dark as Amelia made her way down the sandy path to the beach. The cool air felt refreshing against her skin, a stark contrast to the heated emotions she had been grappling with. The gentle lapping of waves against the shore and the occasional cry of a seagull were the only sounds accompanying her.

As she reached the beach, she spotted Logan standing near the water, his silhouette outlined by the faint light of dawn. He waved as he saw her approaching, his face breaking into a friendly smile.

"Hey, Amelia!" Logan called out, his voice carrying over the sound of the waves. "Glad you could make it."

Amelia smiled back, her mood lifting slightly. "Hi, Logan. Thanks for the invite."

Logan gestured for her to follow him as he walked towards a small bonfire he had set up. The fire crackled softly, casting a warm, flickering light that seemed to chase away the early morning chill.

"I thought this might be a nice spot to hang out," Logan said, gesturing to the space around the fire. "I didn't expect to see anyone else out this early."

Amelia settled onto a log by the fire, feeling the warmth seeping into her bones. "It's perfect. I really needed to get out."

Logan sat down next to her, the firelight reflecting in his eyes. "I'm glad you came out. It's nice to have someone to talk to."

Amelia nodded, feeling a mixture of relief and anxiety. "Yeah, me too. Things have been a bit rough lately."

They sat in comfortable silence for a few moments, the fire crackling between them. Amelia felt a sense of calm she hadn't experienced in days. The argument with Taylor seemed a world away, and she was grateful for the distraction.

Logan broke the silence with a chuckle. "So, I was thinking about what you said the other day. You mentioned you didn't know much about surfing?"

Amelia shook her head with a laugh. "Not at all. I've never even tried."

"Well, I'd be happy to teach you if you're interested," Logan offered. "It's a lot of fun, and I think you'd like it."

Amelia's eyes lit up. "Really? That would be amazing. I've always wanted to try, but I never had the chance."

Logan's grin widened. "Great. How about we meet up tomorrow morning and give it a shot?"

Amelia agreed, her mood brightening at the thought of trying something new and exciting. The idea of learning to surf felt like a small victory, a way to reclaim some joy amidst the chaos of her life.