Chapter 40

Dinner at Kylie and Jason's was meant to be comforting, a warm welcome into their home after a day filled with uncertainty. Kylie had gone out of her way to prepare Amelia's favorite meal—grilled cheese with a side of vegetables—hoping to make her feel more at ease. The girls were chatting excitedly around the table, the atmosphere buzzing with the innocence and energy of childhood. But for Amelia, the familiar comfort of her favorite dish did little to soothe the growing anxiety in her chest.

As they sat down to eat, the conversation flowed easily between Kylie, and the kids. Amelia tried to join in, but her mind kept drifting back to Taylor and Travis. She wondered where they were now, what they were doing, and if they missed her as much as she missed them. She pushed her food around her plate, taking small bites, but her appetite was almost nonexistent.

Midway through the meal, Wyatt, with her four-year-old innocence, asked a question that made the room fall silent. "Amelia, why can't your mom be here while Uncle Travvy and Aunty Tay are away?"

Amelia froze, her fork halfway to her mouth. The question hung in the air, heavy and unavoidable. She could feel the eyes of everyone at the table on her, waiting for an answer. But how could she explain? How could she put into words the pain and loss that had defined her life since her mother's passing?

Her heart began to race, and she felt the sting of tears welling up in her eyes. She didn't want to cry in front of them, didn't want to make a scene. But the question had struck a nerve, bringing all of her fears and sadness to the surface. Unable to find her voice, Amelia quietly pushed her chair back and left the table.

Kylie called after her, concern lacing her voice, but Amelia didn't stop. She hurried up the stairs to the guest room, closing the door behind her. The tears she had been holding back spilled over, and she quickly wiped them away, trying to compose herself. She didn't want to be a burden, didn't want to cause any trouble, but the emotions were too much to bear.

Feeling the walls of the room closing in on her, Amelia reached for her phone. She needed to talk to Taylor, needed to hear her voice, to be reminded that everything would be okay. With trembling hands, she sent a text, asking Taylor to call her as soon as she could. Then she waited, her heart pounding in her chest, desperate for a reply.

But as the minutes ticked by, her anxiety grew. Taylor didn't answer. Amelia knew that Taylor was probably on the jet to Tokyo, too far away to call back right away, but that knowledge did little to calm her. The distance between them felt enormous, like a chasm she couldn't cross. The reality of being alone, even in the care of kind people, was overwhelming.

As the night grew darker, Amelia curled up on the bed, holding her phone tightly. She wanted to believe that she could handle this, that she could be strong like Taylor always said she was. But right now, all she felt was small and scared, like a child lost in the dark, searching for a light that seemed so far out of reach.

After dinner, Kylie noticed the tension that still lingered in the air. Amelia's abrupt departure from the table had left a heavy silence, and the girls were quieter than usual, sensing that something wasn't quite right. Kylie knew she needed to address what had happened, not just for Amelia's sake but to help Wyatt and Ellie understand the weight of their words.

Once the dishes were cleared, Kylie guided Wyatt and Ellie to the living room, sitting them down on the couch. Their innocent eyes looked up at her, filled with questions and a bit of worry. Kylie took a deep breath, knowing this was going to be a delicate conversation.

"Girls," Kylie began gently, "I want to talk to you about what happened at dinner." She saw Wyatt's little face scrunch up in confusion, while Ellie looked down at her hands, already sensing they had upset Amelia. "You both asked Amelia about her parents, and I know you didn't mean any harm, but sometimes there are things we shouldn't ask about, because they can make people feel sad or uncomfortable."