Chapter 39

The drive to Kylie and Jason's house was filled with a bittersweet tension. Taylor and Travis tried their best to keep the conversation light, but Amelia could feel the weight of the upcoming separation settling in her chest. The trees lining the road blurred together as she stared out the window, lost in her thoughts. She'd been with Taylor and Travis for so long now, it felt strange to think about being apart from them—especially now, when the world seemed more uncertain than ever.

When they finally pulled up to Kylie and Jason's house, Amelia's heart started to race. She'd met Kylie and the girls before and liked them, but this would be the first time she was away from Taylor and Travis since everything happened with her dad. The thought of being without them, even for just a little while, sent a shiver of anxiety through her.

As they walked up to the front door, Taylor noticed Amelia's hesitation. She gently squeezed her hand, offering a reassuring smile. "You're going to have a great time with Kylie and the girls," Taylor said softly. "And we'll be back to pick you up before you know it. Just think of it as a mini adventure."

Amelia nodded, trying to force a smile, but her heart wasn't in it. She wanted to be brave, to show Taylor and Travis that she could handle this, but deep down, she wasn't sure she could. What if something happened while they were away? What if she had another nightmare, and they weren't there to comfort her? The fear of being alone, without their support, was almost overwhelming.

Kylie greeted them warmly at the door, her three daughters excitedly bouncing around her. "Amelia! We're so happy you're staying with us!" Kylie exclaimed, pulling her into a hug. Wyatt and Ellie were already tugging at her hands, eager to show her something inside.

"Hi, Amelia!" Wyatt grinned. "We set up a special room just for you! You're gonna love it!"

Amelia smiled weakly, allowing herself to be led inside. The house was cozy and inviting, filled with the warmth of family. But as she looked back at Taylor and Travis standing in the doorway, she felt a pang of anxiety.

Travis crouched down to her level, his eyes filled with concern. "You're going to be okay, Amelia. Kylie will take good care of you. And if you need anything, you can call us anytime. We're just a phone call away, alright?"

Amelia nodded, trying to hold back the tears that were threatening to spill over. She knew they were right—Kylie was good person, and she would be safe here. But it was still hard to let go.

Taylor knelt beside Travis, brushing a strand of hair behind Amelia's ear. "We love you, Amelia. You're stronger than you think. And we'll see you soon, okay? Just take things one day at a time."

With that, Taylor and Travis gave her one last hug before heading back to their car. Amelia watched them drive away, the lump in her throat growing bigger with each passing second. Kylie must have sensed her unease because she put a comforting arm around her shoulders.

"You're going to do just fine, Amelia," Kylie said softly. "We're here for you, and we're going to have a lot of fun together. How about we start by making some cookies? The girls have been talking about it all morning."

Amelia nodded, trying to push her worries aside. She could do this. She had to. For Taylor and Travis, and for herself. But as she followed Kylie into the kitchen, the feeling of anxiety lingered, a constant reminder that she was still on this journey—learning how to be brave in a world that sometimes felt too big and too scary.

She took a deep breath, trying to focus on the present. It was just a few weeks. She could handle that. And when it was over, she'd be back with Taylor and Travis, right where she belonged.