Chapter 81

Amelia woke up with a burst of energy, the excitement of seeing Logan again thrumming through her veins. The memories of their sunset walk and the sweet kiss they had shared were still fresh in her mind, making her heart flutter all over again. She quickly got dressed, ready to seize the day.

As she made her way downstairs, it became clear that she was the last one up. The house was already buzzing with activity. Amelia could hear the sounds of breakfast being cleared away in the kitchen and the distant chatter of voices outside. But what really caught her attention was the small group of eager faces waiting for her at the foot of the stairs.

Wyatt, Ellie, Inez, Betty, and little Sterling were all gathered together, their eyes lighting up as soon as they saw her.

"Amelia!" Wyatt exclaimed, rushing over to her. "We've been waiting for you!"

Amelia smiled, feeling a warm surge of affection for the kids. They were all so adorable, with their bright eyes and infectious energy. But as much as she loved spending time with them, today was different. Today, she had plans with Logan, and she wanted to enjoy some quality time with him without having to worry about babysitting.

"Can you play with us?" Ellie chimed in, her voice filled with hope. "We want to build a sandcastle!"

Amelia hesitated, her heart tugging in two different directions. She didn't want to disappoint the little ones, but she also didn't want to miss out on her time with Logan. She was trying to figure out how to let them down gently when James appeared in the doorway, giving her an out.

"Hey, Amelia," James called, strolling over with a casual smile. "Owen's going to be down at the beach today too. Mind if I tag along with you?"

Amelia breathed a silent sigh of relief. She loved hanging out with James, and having her along would make it easier to explain to the kids why she couldn't play with them today.

Before she could answer, though, Wyatt piped up again, her face scrunched into a pout. "But we want to come too! It's not fair if you only take James!"

Amelia felt a pang of guilt, but she knew she had to stand her ground. Today was about spending time with Logan, and she couldn't do that if she was chasing after a group of little kids all day.

"I'm sorry, Wyatt," Amelia said gently, kneeling down to their level. "I promise we'll play together later, okay? But today, I really want to spend some time with Logan and James."

The disappointment was clear on their faces, especially Wyatt's, but before they could protest further, Sterling toddled over and gave Amelia a big hug. "Okay, 'Melia. We'll wait."

Amelia smiled, hugging her back. "Thank you, Sterling. I'll make it up to you guys, I promise."

James stepped in, offering to help distract the little ones with a game in the yard. "How about this," she said, crouching down to their level. "Why don't we build a giant castle in the backyard? It'll be the biggest one ever!"

The suggestion worked like magic. Wyatt and the others perked up, their disappointment quickly replaced by excitement at the prospect of a new game.

"Okay!" they chorused, already darting off toward the yard.

Amelia gave James a grateful look. "Thanks for that. I didn't want to hurt their feelings."

James shrugged with a grin. "No problem. I know how it is. Besides, you deserve some time with Logan."

Amelia smiled and nodded. "Let's go, then."

The two girls headed down to the beach, the sun already warm on their skin. As they approached the familiar spot where she'd met Logan the evening before, Amelia's heart began to race. She scanned the shore, searching for Logan's familiar figure, and there he was, leaning casually against a large rock, his eyes fixed on the water.