Chapter 63

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting a warm, golden glow over the Rhode Island beach house, Taylor and Travis found themselves in the cozy study off the main living area. The room, usually a haven of calm and creativity, felt heavy with the weight of their private conversation.

Taylor paced the room, her arms crossed tightly over her chest. Her normally bright eyes were clouded with worry. Travis sat on the edge of the large oak desk, his brow furrowed in thought. The air was thick with a mix of frustration and concern, both of them struggling to find the right words.

"Travis, I don't know what to do," Taylor said, her voice tinged with exhaustion. "Amelia's been so out of control lately, and I can't seem to get through to her. I thought she'd be okay with everything, but now I'm not so sure."

Travis nodded, his expression serious. "I get it, Tay. She's been through a lot, and I understand she's trying to find some sense of normalcy. But sneaking out, lying to us—it's not just about rules. It's about her safety and well-being."

Taylor stopped pacing and turned to face Travis. "I know. I just don't want to push her away. She's been through so much already. But we can't let her think she can just disregard boundaries and get away with it. It's not healthy for her, and it's not fair to us."

Travis stood up and walked over to Taylor, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Let's focus on what we can do to help her understand why these rules are important. We need to make sure she knows we're doing this out of love, not just as punishment."

Taylor sighed, rubbing her temples. "Right. We need to set clear boundaries, but also explain why they're necessary. I just hope she listens."

As the two of them discussed the situation, the conversation shifted towards what boundaries and rules they needed to set. They decided on a few key points:

No Sneaking Out: Amelia needed to understand the dangers of sneaking out and how it affected their trust in her. They agreed that if she wanted to go out, she needed to ask first and provide details about where she was going and with whom.

Open Communication: Taylor and Travis wanted Amelia to feel comfortable coming to them with her concerns or plans. They decided to emphasize the importance of honesty and open dialogue, making sure Amelia knew she could talk to them about anything.

Supervised Outings: Given Amelia's recent behavior and the situation with Logan, they agreed that Amelia would need to have her outings supervised or at least checked in on. This was not only to ensure her safety but also to rebuild trust.

Respecting Family Time: They wanted to make sure Amelia understood the importance of family time. They would set aside specific times for family activities, reinforcing the value of spending quality time together.

Taylor and Travis finalized their plan, feeling a mix of relief and apprehension. They knew these conversations were never easy, but they hoped that setting these boundaries would help Amelia feel more secure and understood.

As dinner time approached, Taylor and Travis gathered their thoughts, preparing to sit down with Amelia. They wanted to approach the conversation with empathy and clarity, ensuring Amelia knew they were there to support her, even if they had to enforce rules.

In the dining room, the family gathered around the table. The atmosphere was more subdued than usual, and Amelia, still grounded, sat quietly, avoiding eye contact. Taylor and Travis exchanged a glance, signaling that it was time to address the situation.

Taylor cleared her throat and began, her voice steady but kind. "Amelia, we need to talk. We've been thinking about everything that's happened recently, and we've decided that we need to set some rules to help us all feel more comfortable and safe."

Amelia looked up, her eyes filled with a mix of defiance and curiosity. "Rules? What kind of rules?"

Travis took over, his tone calm and reassuring. "We've decided that it's important to have some boundaries to make sure you're safe and to help us trust each other more. We want you to understand that these rules are about keeping you safe and making sure we're all on the same page."

Amelia's expression hardened slightly. "What kind of rules are we talking about?"

Taylor took a deep breath and began explaining the boundaries they had discussed. She emphasized that these rules were not about punishing her but about making sure she felt secure and understood. Travis supported her, offering additional explanations and reassuring Amelia of their love and concern.

As they talked, Amelia's defenses began to crumble. The initial anger and frustration gave way to a more thoughtful silence. She could see the concern in their eyes and felt the weight of their words.

By the end of the conversation, Amelia nodded slowly, her anger dissipating as she took in their words. It was clear that Taylor and Travis were doing their best to support her, even if it meant setting firm boundaries.

As they finished dinner and the family began to unwind, there was a sense of tentative understanding. The road ahead might still be challenging, but for now, the important step had been taken. Taylor and Travis hoped that with patience and empathy, they could help Amelia find her way and strengthen their family bond.